Annoying white noise on lead sounds

Smokei

Hi,

I've recently started noticing this more and more and now it is starting to get really annoying.
I mostly use slynth1 and nexus for my leads. I will usually layer 3-5 synths for a lead sound (while trying not layer only saws for example), pan some to the right, some to the left, eq them differently and send them to a bus where I will put a compressor, final eq and reverb..

Now, I've noticed that when I eq the individual layer channels, on almost every layer I can hear white noise (I've double checked everything, there is no oscilators producing white noise), and in order to get rid of it I usually have to cut the high frequencies at 10000-12000 Hz which, sometimes even less. That leaves me with lead layers that are actually cut at lets say 10k Hz, and that takes away life from the track, it seems dull. Has anyone experienced this white noise in their lead sounds and how did you fix/avoid it.

The monitors I use are KRK Rokit rp6 g2.

Thank you for your time

Last edited:
Depending on what Waves plugins you have, you can use either the X-Noise or Z-Noise to help get rid of the white noise, and then after add another EQ to your chain and bring back in any high-end you desire (the One-Knob Brighter is a quick and easy way to do this that sounds pretty good).

When I try to use X noise on an individual channel it delays it so it is not in time with the rest anymore, even tho FL's automatic plugin delay compensation is on. Maybe I should put it on master channel? Or maybe I could at it during mastering stage.

Last edited:
You could use it and then bounce out the individual track/tracks, and move them back in time with everything. I have used them one my master channel in the past, but I prefer to clean it up on an individual track basis.

i was gonna say it might be a compressor or limiter somewhere causing it, but i dont know man thats weird

You could try EQing out the noise, as you have been, then add reverb to the individual synth lines; just add a touch with a very short verb time, to thicken-up more like a chorus rather than leaving a long reverb trail. Your reverb plug should have some type of EQ settings (for the verb itself) or "Lo Damp" and "Hi Damp"-- take out the low end on the verb, and play with adding highs through the reverb. Could add some thickening and more of the brightness you're looking for without mud or a long reverb tail (plus no noise, if your initial EQ was successful).

GJ

Back