Analog bass (with porta/pitch bend)

Dancenstein

youtube.com/watch?v=AtpP-V92kW4

Skip to 3:25
there's obviously some pitch bending/portamento in that, but I don't understand how to make it sound so "full"

let's not talk about hardware vs software i'm merely talking about the filters, the oscillators and the waves used. besides i'm pretty sure you can recreate a simple sound like that with any decent synth, hardware or not. If anyone has any idea, more than welcome! :D (PS I have TAL UNO and TAL BASSLINE if that matters, tried recreating it there but without success; ofc my sound synthesis skillz are not the best in the world)

Thanks! :hello:

There are plenty of patches already close to that synth. Try Arturia's mini and prophet to start. I know u-he has a patch or two very similar in Diva. As far as making it from scratch...have fun with that I suppose. Definitely sounds like a sawtooth waveform with automation on the LP filter freq and probably some LFO's affecting the sound as well.

Thanks mate, I'll see if I can find a demo of arturia's mini
another little question always about that sound: how does the ADSR envelope work there? it seems like it's a single note sustaining because the attack is almost non existant, you can hear always the same thing (and of course the pitch bend) but it doesn't feel like there's multiple notes in the sequence. can you clear that up for me, i'm really confused :?: the solution is probably easier than i think i bet

Thanks mate, I'll see if I can find a demo of arturia's mini
another little question always about that sound: how does the ADSR envelope work there? it seems like it's a single note sustaining because the attack is almost non existant, you can hear always the same thing (and of course the pitch bend) but it doesn't feel like there's multiple notes in the sequence. can you clear that up for me, i'm really confused :?: the solution is probably easier than i think i bet

Not sure exactly what the question is...also gonna be hard to answer with a high degree of certainty because i only see a dude on a mixing board (not anyone playing keys). but ya the bass sound seems to have a short attack (which is typical) and a short release (again typical). decay and sustain are both fairly high (typical). (i am referring to typical envelope parameters for a bass sound). once you really dig deeper into sound design, you notice that manipulation of the volume envelope can achieve some very interesting results (for instance, increase the attack on a bass/lead slightly to 5-30 ms, keep the decay fairly low, the sustain high, and the release just below the decay ---- this should roughly give a bit of a funk sound to your synth. This is a decent blueprint for creating any funky sounding mono/legato patches.

I wouldn't focus on this particular sound too much...it's quite simple and you probably need to just practice a little sound design and then it should all make a lot more sense. Reading my response is much less valuable than just trying to program a couple patches. Keep in mind that even if you try to make a few patches and they are all garbage don't worry about it! Sound design is complex and takes a lot of trial and error to start getting the sound you want. Unless you are a physics whiz and have a photographic memory for signal paths it is a challenging endeavor. But it is well worth it to at least understand how it works. Good luck and keep making music!

Gliding TB.... I heard a very resonant note with up and down portamento. It's a saw wave shape obviously. The "fullness" you are actually hearing is certainly beacause of a compression process. Don't forget to do it when your synth goes glinding so you can keep an amplitude constant, but don't push the button too far because it can denature your sound quite rapidly. And don't forget to bring some bass back after compression, because all the frequency range is affected when you treat your signal with a comp; never too much, because your comp will bring your fullness (~300-500Hz very badly) and your low end closer and trump again with the bass can rapidly send your bassline to the mud !

Back