AM New Producer And I Need Help In Music Theory

DiggZProduction

Hello FP
Im 17 Years Old Beat Maker And Producer
And I Have Some Questions !!!
A Start Learning Music Theory Last Year !!!
But I Didnt Go For Music School Or Have A Teacher
And Now I Know About Scales And Notes And Chords
But I Wont To Improve My Skills To Next Level
What Is The Best Way To Imporve My Skills ??
I Love Make A Electro Pop Rap DirtySoth Beats
And Thanks

Hi !
My best advise would be : the more you learn about Rhythm, the more you'll be able to make good music.
For me, writing music is a rhythm think before being a chord thing (from Classical Music to Hardcore Dubstep)
Good luck.

I would suggest lots of studying, lots of listening, and lots of practice.

Seriously though, the amount of knowledge that has been posted within this section of the forum and only 1 sticky??

Play! Make beats? Are you good/fast in math? The piano keyboard is an extremely intuitive mathematical array. Once you grasp it. But most important. Keep on playing thos chords. Learn. Listen. Grow musically. You cant learn without playing or programming.

The best way to improve musically is by listening to new music then trying to imitate what they do in their music. Dont just study hiphop. Listen to everything. The more things you listen to the more things you can incorporate into your production. As far as music theory goes I suggest studying up on the Circle of Fifths, Nashville Number System, learning your scales, and purchasing a chord book. Thats a good foundation for learning other things about music theory.

practice practice and practice. stay away from the radio as well thats how people come up wit beats that sound similar to what you hear.. dont be afraid to try anything new either. whats doesnt kill you makes you stronger

I was in the same position two years ago. Everyone's different, but what helped me the most was listening and duplicating. There are some great piano tutorials on YouTube that show how to play popular songs. I used to (and still do) watch the tutorials and think to myself: "Why did [insert producer] choose this chord over that one?", "Why does this melody lead to here instead of here?", "How the F*ck did Ryan Leslie think of that arpeggio" lol.

Find out what works and what doesn't work and you'll develop a good ear.

Last edited:
I'm sure bandcoach will have a better answer than mine, but what I will suggest is that you first learn your major and minor chord scales:
Major I ii iii IV V vi vii*
Minor i ii* III iv V VI VII
And then learn your major and minor chord maps which is a diagram showing you how chords can be arranged in a progression.
After that, you can maybe you can pick up on chord inversions, adding 7ths, 9ths, and 11ths to your chord voicings, cadences and other elements of harmony if you really want to spice up your productions.

Study music. Study the arrangement of songs you like. How many bars in the intro, verse, pre chorus, chorus? How do they use chord progressions in each section?

Figure out the chords of all your favorite songs, that will help you learn how chords word and correspond with each other.

Learn your 5th major and minor chords first.

After that 7ths is a great way to go.

But I'd say just work on learning chords from other songs, you can learn A LOT doing that.

Study music. Study the arrangement of songs you like. How many bars in the intro, verse, pre chorus, chorus? How do they use chord progressions in each section?

Figure out the chords of all your favorite songs, that will help you learn how chords word and correspond with each other.

Learn your 5th major and minor chords first.

After that 7ths is a great way to go.

But I'd say just work on learning chords from other songs, you can learn A LOT doing that.

Very true. Most often, the best way to find new chords and inspiring progressions is to learn some tunes you like. Think of it as sampling, but on a much deeper level. Also, learn how to transpose....this will take you a LONG way.

I'm sure bandcoach will have a better answer than mine, but what I will suggest is that you first learn your major and minor chord scales:
Major I ii iii IV V vi vii*
Minor i ii* III iv V VI VII
And then learn your major and minor chord maps which is a diagram showing you how chords can be arranged in a progression.
After that, you can maybe you can pick up on chord inversions, adding 7ths, 9ths, and 11ths to your chord voicings, cadences and other elements of harmony if you really want to spice up your productions.

Thanks for the love, but it's all been covered.

Biggest thing - don't be afraid to ask a question if you don't understand something - it is not a sign of weakness but a sign of strength and character to say you need help.

i can't post links yet but go to youtube and search 'Lypur'

this guys channel is awesome. he has got a series on music theory (about 50 videos, each video over 10 minutes). I think the guy is a music teacher or something. Anyways there are a lot of other videos on there to that are music related. Just go to playlist and you'll find what you are looking for.

I've been playing various instruments for years and the way I learned was what you did, learn the basics about notes, chords, scales, modes blabla. The I learned how to play my favourite songs(this was with a guitar). As I learned to play other musicians music I was actually learning different techniques. Then I got some gear for electronic music and I looked up youtube videos to learn songs. A good example is how to sidechain like deadmau5, or create a talking skrillex bassline, or make a trance pluck. So buy music books and search youtube videos to learn techniques. And the best piece of advice is never give up, the guys I just mentioned; Deadmau5 spent his whole life working at clubs and radio stations and then spent several years in the underground scene, skrillex toured with his dad for his whole life. It really takes a lifetime to learn to make music, the best musicians are usually never satisfied.

im at the same level as you bro. im still learning about chords and scales but i think the best advice i can give is to just listen to other peoples music and practice nonstop !!

Back