Am I understanding fm synthesis right?

wavewar3

Well first I wanna know if I have the term modulation right. I think a saw a video that said modulation is when you apply one waves form to another one? I understand lfos are used to make like a pulsing effect to sounds because the wave forms follows the lfos shape. So i'm guessing if you are modulating one wave form with another wave form that isn't an lfo , since it's oscillation is really fast you end up with a whole new sound.

Come to think of it I wonder if there's any material that explains in depth what modulators and carriers do in detail.

Example, in thor there's one that has mod and carrier and the farther you scrunge those numbers upwards, the sound gets more layered and brighter than before?
Like some weird workaround to additive synthesis or something. Don't get me wrong, wikipedia is nice and all but Frequency modulation synthesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is alittle too much to look at tbh.
Maybe this

Synonyms for modulation, do not know. All I can think of is it controls the carrier

unfortunately it is not as simple as that;

the sound can be changed with relatively small changes in the modulator or remain unchanged for large changes in the modulator which is why FM is often termed unpredictable by some

in essence though, fm adds side-bands to a single sine/cosine waveform, creating more complex and harmonically rich sounds as a result

see the sos synth secrets link above and the follow-up part to get a better grip on the whys and how tos

Back