to all producers,what is the scale you most use for?

Eldrige

what is the key you most use for?
1.hip hop
2.rnb
3.pop

i am just trying to get some info coz for sometime i have been stuck using the C scale and the Eb scale sometimes the Bb also.

Last edited:
I try to learn all scales, so I try to practice various scales with each new beat I work on. I really like the a scale for rnb and for hip hop pop I really don't try to do but if it sounds like pop to me it just sounds like pop and that's mostly the C scale

Last edited:
For hip-hop and r&b, you'll want to experiment with every type of scale. If you want that classic rap sound, you'll have to draw from jazz, soul, funk, blues melodies. Blues is interesting in particular because so much music evolved from it. Personally, I've made beats using the blues scale, minor and major. Unfortunately, I could not tell you other scales I used because I cannot remember without opening many of my beats. Hip-hop is so broad and everyone has their own adaptation of what they consider a hip-hop beat. It really depends on what you are trying to achieve because the scale has a direct influence on the feeling and style of a beat. Just don't limit yourself and have an open ear for the music of yesteryear. One good idea I just thought of..is take your favourite songs and analyse those. I know this is basic but maybe you'll learn a lot by analysing just one riff or loop or whatever that triggers your interest. Good luck

All scales for sure, when I first started I would ask the same question hoping someone would give me the "Magic Scale" where I can just hit keys and it will sound amazing but that doesn't exist. I would try a new scale everytime or every few times.

The scale can change the mood and feeling, but it's really up to you to come up with the melody at the end of the day.

The key comes down to your vocalist's range just like the tempo comes down to the ideal fit for the groove. If you are not using a vocalist then it's worth experimenting with playing a line you are planning on using in MIDI and transposing it through all of the scale degrees and octaves until you find the range that it sits in the best. This may be because the reverb on the track responds to a certain harmonic that only comes out in certain notes, or the low notes are resonating better in certain keys than others, or whatever. I think it is worth taking the time to do this early on in a track as I like to have a guide track that sounds good early and contains the essence of the groove and sound. While I usually use live instruments for that, MIDI ones will work better for this scenario I think (transposing in DAW).

I usually use F for trap beats because the 808 sounds real good for the 6th chord... which is the most use chord in trap.. dark rap music. I like B natural for RNB cause I can find melodies real easy in that key cause its best for my range. Pop C major or even A.

Just my 2 cents here but..... the thing i would take away from this thread that you built which has lots of people talking so job well done on that. The three genres that you posted wanting scales for is a great question but you really need to look at what makes a pop / R&B / hip hop track.

-what elements and tempo's are used to create the feeling that makes you say this track is a.... (insert genre here)?

-what instruments are most commonly used?

-how are the instruments played? (not the scale but.... how fast is it being played, is it long and drawn out or short and in bursts)

-lastly what are the drums doing?

the scale question is good as it opens your eyes to what others are playing and doing but gotta remember if im playing the instruments used in "step in the name of love"- R. Kelly and have the drums from waka's "Hard in the Paint" its not really gonna work IMO.

I make the song in whatever scale. And transpond the song to the scale that fits the singer(s). Love to make it in F# though since the sound of that scale is so special in my ears.

So you're trying to do what everyone else does ? I don't see the sense in doing this. Standing out from other producers is exactly doing the opposite of what others do and making it sound good of course. Originality and craziness are 2 separate things. Peace out brother ! check out my beatmaking video tutorial blog w w w . carlitosbeats . c o m peace out !!!

So you're trying to do what everyone else does ? I don't see the sense in doing this. Standing out from other producers is exactly doing the opposite of what others do and making it sound good of course. Originality and craziness are 2 separate things. Peace out brother ! check out my beatmaking video tutorial blog w w w . carlitosbeats . c o m peace out !!!
80% of top 100 is made on the same 4 chord progressions. Doing the opposite? Best of luck :)

Try using many scales. You will come up with some nice ideas on certain scales, and on other scales you may find some problem making anything out of it. I am used to humming some melodies and verifying what scale is that and start from there.

Try using many scales. You will come up with some nice ideas on certain scales, and on other scales you may find some problem making anything out of it. I am used to humming some melodies and verifying what scale is that and start from there.

What is your technique when you hum your melodies?
Do you play different scales while you hum? Or do you just have good ears and can tell ?

What is your technique when you hum your melodies?
Do you play different scales while you hum? Or do you just have good ears and can tell ?

Hey Tdot, I just let my imagination flow and hum some random melody. When I stumble on some good melody that I like I quickly put it to fl studio piano roll, and than look at the notes and see which scale uses those notes. I'm not that good to tell by ear on what scale a specific melody is on, so I need to analyse. It helps greatly if you have all the scales with its chords written on the paper!
Oh and try humming some known melodies and just improvise on that. Just hum the exact melody of eg. timbaland and go off the track and start improvising. That way you can find some great melodies! And it's not plagiarism! It also helps on improvising the melodies.

Hope it helped

Back