Album Listening

On my album I have a variety of styles. I like to organize my tracks by bringing the listener in smooth with the first couple of tracks, and then switch it up to something upbeat. Next, I finish with something smooth. I belive there is three stages to a perfect album. 1. The foreplay 2. Climax 3. The release

The first song should give the listener an idea of the dynamic range of the music and sets the stage for the rest of the tracks. My music covers a few different styles too. Mastering will really help you.
Seriously consider mastering.

try 2 arrange the songs like a movie plot. take the different song and put them 2gether so it makes a book or movie u kno?

Good advice here. Like trezza said, your first track should be a good intro to the overall style (even if the overall style is "Lots of crazy styles!") and it should be pretty banging. It's the first track people will here, you need it to catch them fast. And like badamc said, try to figure how you want the listener to experience your music, and then try to arrange the tracks in a way that best expresses that.

Here's some "by the book" things out there, some of them are meant to be broken, but it's a guide:

Don't put two songs in the same key one after another.

Don't put two songs with the same tempo/style of beat in a row.

First track should be a single, not necessarily the best track, but something lots of people will like.

Last tracks are throw-aways/chances to experiment a little; go crazy at the end of your CD.

Don't put all your slow songs in a block and all your faster ones in another, but then again, you don't want to simply alternate fast/slow as that's a little predictable and fatiquing to listen to.
--------

Anyway, those aren't really "golden" rules or anything. I've heard albums where an entire side is in the same key. A lot of electronic albums have the same rhythm throughout. I've heard plenty of records where Side A is a bunch of slamming tracks and Side B is more low key. Sometimes the best song on an album is last. These aren't rules to live by, but they might give you a good starting place to figure out how you want to sequence the album.

Back