Advanced 808 Processing Techniques

makrsamples

Hey guys. I wrote an article on advanced 808 processing techniques.

Processing your 808s is a great way to add a unique flavor to the same stock sounds that everyone else uses.

And it's something that a lot of people don't realize makes a difference in filling out a track.

For example, certain plugins improve how 808s sound on low-bass sound systems like laptops and stock Apple earbuds. Or, tricks like adding light reverb can beef up an 808 on a bass-heavy trap without much instrumentation.

Anyway, there are a ton of great tips in the article, and I hope that you can take something away from it!

What tips are in the article:
1. Shaping 808s with EQ
2. Adding character with saturation

3. Adding character with distortion
4. Using stereo processing to enhance ”width”
5. Using compression and limiting to enhance “loudness”
6. Enhancing 808s to make them audible on laptop speakers
7. Octave layering
8. Adding reverb to your 808s??
9. And finally… a secret processing tip from our sound design team.

Last edited:
hey guys. i wrote an article on advanced 808 processing techniques.

Processing your 808s is a great way to add a unique flavor to the same stock sounds that everyone else uses.

And it's something that a lot of people don't realize makes a difference in filling out a track.

For example, certain plugins improve how 808s sound on low-bass sound systems like laptops and stock apple earbuds. Or, tricks like adding light reverb can beef up an 808 on a bass-heavy trap without much instrumentation.

Anyway, there are a ton of great tips in the article, and i hope that you can take something away from it!

what tips are in the article:
1. Shaping 808s with eq
2. Adding character with saturation

3. Adding character with distortion
4. Using stereo processing to enhance ”width”
5. Using compression and limiting to enhance “loudness”
6. Enhancing 808s to make them audible on laptop speakers
7. Octave layering
8. Adding reverb to your 808s??
9. And finally… a secret processing tip from our sound design team.

Nice piece of work! People using 808's alot in there production should see this... I'm tired of them using 808's in a way that hurts my ears... I thinking of sharing some of my music production techniques on a blog post one day, don't know yet...

Last edited:
Thanks man! Honestly, I think a lot of people just don't know the right techniques and hit a creative wall trying to find things out on their own.

Also-- if you want to write a blog post, let me know! If you've got some solid techniques to share we're always down for a guest post on our blog :)

Back