Adding snap to a snare without changing dynamic range

BRHSM

Hey,

I've got a generic dubstep snare which has been squashed trough a compressor. I would like to make it more snappy but I really like the way it has been squashed.

How can I achieve a snappier snare without using a compressor?

BRHSM

Words like 'snappy' don't actually mean anything, so it's hard to know what you want.

It might help if you posted the snare before and after compression and possibly a similar example of the kind of snare you were going for?

'Hits harder' doesn't mean anything. We all want our snares to hit harder, be specific...

Sorry for being harsh, but we can't really help you if we don't know exactly what you want...

maybe an EQ boost with a small Q factor in the frequency range you're looking for?

or use a different sample? or, layer a snappy snare on it. mess with the volumes until they sound how you want together

Last edited:
maybe an EQ boost with a small Q factor in the frequency range you're looking for?

or use a different sample? or, layer a snappy snare on it. mess with the volumes until they sound how you want together

would that not mess up the dymanics of the original?

would that not mess up the dymanics of the original?
Yes, it would... but what you're saying kinda implies that you don't like the dynamics of the original because it's been overcompressed.

if you make the snappy sample really really short so you can only hear it when it hits, then roll off the attack of the snare you like, you would probably retain most of the character of the original snare.

You should try to layer something with that snare then eq and distortion maybe.

-layer a different snare with a "snappy" sound (fast attack) then edit it so it only plays the attack portion of that snare. find another snare you admire for its attack, then cut it so only the attack portion plays.

-use white noise, as mentioned by DJRY and layer it on your existing snare.

-OR use both of those mentioned above and layer/mix them with existing snare.

-maybe use slight compression in the end to blend them all together nicely and uniform. "glue" compressor...use frugally.

THANKS everyone for the great response!

I took all of your suggestions in thought and tried most of them (there where some duplicates)

i got it fixed now and it sounds nice and huge!

Back