Adding layers on top of a sample...

So I've been producing for awhile and creating songs from scratch is starting to get a little repetitive, so I've been sampling more and more but one of the things I can't get down is after I find my sample and loop/chop it, going back and adding my own melodies or layers on top of the sample in the right key/scale. Is there a program or in-house plugin (FL Studio) that will tell me things like the sample's tempo, scale, etc.? Or do I just need to get used to doing it by ear?

So I've been producing for awhile and creating songs from scratch is starting to get a little repetitive, so I've been sampling more and more but one of the things I can't get down is after I find my sample and loop/chop it, going back and adding my own melodies or layers on top of the sample in the right key/scale. Is there a program or in-house plugin (FL Studio) that will tell me things like the sample's tempo, scale, etc.? Or do I just need to get used to doing it by ear?

Hi there!

I alway's work with samples couse i just love to crack my head open by puzzling everything together.
Mostly i use my ear to connect everything but if you realy 'want' to know the sample's tempo, scale etc there are programs to do it like 'KeyFinder'.
The tempo of a sample you can alter it to your needs, most of the time i try to loop my sample in edison and then time stretch it to my liking.

Im new here btw!

Goodluck!

Last edited:
Back