Adding on to a chord progression or melody?

StanleySteamer

Hey guys, so I am making trap beats and on my keyboard I always find it easy to play some first like a melody or a chord progression but then I can't really add anything else to it and get it to "follow" without sounding boring I suppose. I have been taking some music theory classes online which has greatly increased my skills and understanding but whenever I make something I like I can never add something else to it and make it follow along with the beat. I guess I am better trying to understand the harmony of things? Sometimes I hear beats where a melody is repeating over and over and other instruments like the bass have a progression they are following and sometimes I hear stuff that sounds very cohesive. Any advice? Thanks alot!

As far as your music is concerned who do you draw inspiration from? Might be able to answer your question in a more helpful way knowing that

I listen to alot of metroboomin and southside and murda beatz pretty much whatever is hot because i live in atlanta and I know alot of people who rap and stuff and I' m trying to be the next hot producer. I have been doing it for a while but I am getting really serious as I have been investing in more equipment and dedicating more time. With that being said I am learning alot of about chord inversions and I was just wondering if I invert chords in my chord progression and a melody is supposed to follow my chords, does my melody need to start on the original key of the chord or the bottom note of the chord i inverted? For example:

I start with my first chord Fminor and go to Cmajor, so I invert it with Fminor/C and go to Cmajor. When I write my melody should I start on C or F in the beginning based on the chord still being F but it has been inverted with C as the new root?

Back