Acapella Vocals Over A Track

iLListSnig

I've been trying to do this for a while, but I just give up/dont feel like putting in the effort everytime it doesnt go right.

I want to put this Nas acapella over this beat that I made and make it fit perfectly...But it just doesnt work out right everytime that I try it....Is there a certain program that you use to do this or what? I made the beat using reason and i've tried to fit the beat and the acapella together using acid pro 5.0....But I just cant get it to sound right....

Can anyone help me out?

Im not sure cause I cant hear the beat, but Im guessing there might be a difference in tempo. If this is the problem you need to find the exact tempo of the acapella. This can be done by using a program such as music math (for macs only this is what I use) where you listen to the acapella and tap the space bar to the beat. It will then calculate the bpm. There are other programs for both windows and mac that you can download for free. Id either search this website or google I guarantee youll find a bunch. Or you can try and find the bpm listed on the internet, which I personally have had problems with (wrong bpm listed)If this is not the problem than you need to be more specific cause it could be a lot of other things. Either way let me know how it goes.

I use accapellas a lot live - just chop the accapella up into short phrases and then you can drop each part on the beat and the tempo becomes irrelevent - give it a go, it may work for you too! If you dont want to do it live, you could try putting the first word from each line bang on the beat of each bar - provided the original tempo isn't toooo much slower than your track, it should work. Things don't always need to be exactly in time to work, in fact it would be good if more modern music moved AWAY from quantisation!!

In acid when you first load the acapella you should be prompted with the beat mapping wizard . USE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this will not only tell you the tempo , map all the beats within the acapella it will also allow you to stretch the tempo to your own beat though changing the tempo of your beat will yeild better results .

Frankie

Last edited by a moderator:
Use Acid TimeStretching man, works a treat i bin doin it for years now.

iLListSnig said:
I've been trying to do this for a while, but I just give up/dont feel like putting in the effort everytime it doesnt go right.

I want to put this Nas acapella over this beat that I made and make it fit perfectly...But it just doesnt work out right everytime that I try it....Is there a certain program that you use to do this or what? I made the beat using reason and i've tried to fit the beat and the acapella together using acid pro 5.0....But I just cant get it to sound right....

Can anyone help me out?

you need to learn how to figure out the tempo of a track...

If you cannot figure it out from the acapella, go back to the original full mix and use that to figure it out.

Learn to do it by ear... don't rely on software. It is a very simple thing to do and will be the best way for you to do it... you NEED to know how to do this by ear.

...and it should be one of the most basic skills a beginning producer should grasp.

you can just cut an exact 4 bar loop and adjust your sequencers tempo to match the tempo... make sure the segment you chopped loops perfectly clean... then you have your tempo set.

I'd suggest chopping it into sizeable chunks ( I think someone said this though )

If you just work with a single file, the whole lenght of the track, you will find it starts to drift off after a bit.

Like dvyce said, you could take a sample from the orginal full track and create a perfectly chopped loop. As an example, you could take that to Recycle, punch in the bars and the tempo appears at the top, the problem with this though, is if the acapella is off vinyl, it wont be consistently the same bpm, varying by tiny amounts, but enough to cause drift over time - which is another reason to chop it up.

It's just so much easier to use like that.

Get Virtual DJ and play around with the acapella and the instrumental... after a while u will know when to speed the acapella up and when to slow it down
that's how I learned it

beatmap the acapella and then check the box that says "preserve pitch when stretching" on the track properties

Back