about timbaland

salvia

Hey guys,

Dont you find it funny that Timbaland took a trip to europe, hung out with some dance producers over there, cam back and started using dance synths in his music, and now suddenly everyone is copying that electro sound?

I just find it weird how a lot of people in the US arent aware of whats going on in the world and just live in their little cocoon till someone brings it to them. There is so much more out there in terms of music.

Anyway, its been buggin me for a while. Peace.

That's just lame. You think he wasn't being innovative when mixing his sound with euro-club sh*t?

I didn't put classical elements in my beats until I started playing violin and listening to/working on orchestral scores, does that make me just as big of a "fraud?"

I think if you listen to PRE Timbaland disco/trance/techno era, you'll notice that Hip-Hop was starting to move into that direction (IMO). Timbaland makes a lot club beats anyway, I think he just happened to find inspiration when he went to Europe, maybe even found some nice synth sounds he wanted to use. As far as bugging you, I don't see why it should. Does it bother you that Kanye West uses sampled oldies in his beats too?

On another note, don't you think possibly he worked with some of these trance producers to expand his knowledge of music?

Last edited:
...He was talking about us not being innovative, not timbaland lol.

He wasn't knocking Timbaland for using this style...sounded more like a praise that he was the first to do it and he finds it funny that all of the sudden so many OTHER producers and beatmakers try to do it here in the U.S. now.

That's the way I read it anyway...

I agree with that to a certain extent, but honestly, it's more about who you hang out with in the U.S. and also what you do on your own music-wise. Out of all of my friends and family, me and my little brother and my roomate in college were the only people that listened to trance or techno. And to be honest, that's when I started being a Timbaland fan when he started doing it because it finally combined my two favorite genres better than anyone else did it at the time.

I think people in the U.S. do sort of live in a cocoon music-wise, but like I said...depends where you live and who you hang out with cuz most of my friends have at least one or two top favorite artists or producers that are not here in the U.S. and/or don't even release music officially in the U.S.

Sounds more like a complaint that people who don't really study music aren't really listening to what's out there, but hey, so what? Those are the type of people who are either

A. Not making music anyway
B. Are making music for fun
C. Trying to get somewhere with their music, but are highly, less likely to compared to someone who does try to expand their music libraries.

So in the end, it's not really a big deal...just a bigger advantage for those who do listen to music from around the world.

I listened to DJ Tiesto, Paul Oakenfold, DJ Scooter, and a lot other less known Trance/Tehcno DJs before the Timbaland techno era. I agree with Nova that ever since Timbaland started this type of Hip-Hop, I enjoy Timbaland a lot more. I had for a long time been waiting for someone to put the two genres together, however, at the time I had NO IDEA how to produce music or even what I needed or didn't need - or the general understanding for that matter. I also think that Timbaland was able set almost an example or sort of a template on how to put Hip-Hop with Techno sounds together. Just listening to Timbaland has helped me take the route of Techno and Hip-Hop producing route that I've been wanting to do for a while. On top of that Paul Oakenfold has been an influence in my producing as well since, to my knowledge, he was the first to put Hip-Hop and Tehcno together.

Last edited:
Personally I have always produced this way. I am a huge trance fan, and they have nice riffs in their song that I like, and always dug that raw synth sound. Timberland does what he wants, and gets paid for it. He also mixes in like african drums and crazy ****. Sometimes timberland is completely whack...sometimes hes right on par. Once I get home I am going to upload some songs, that I have made pre shock-value. Sounds much like timberland, but regardless i agree with who said it was moving that way...Lil John anyone?

XRezno I totally agree. I wasn't a big fan and listened to all of those trance guys as well. Oakenfold, Tiesto, Armin Van Buuren, and Digweed. These guys are great producers and DJ's alike.

Last edited:
Tiesto is in my top 3...but my personal favorite was DJ Encore...I can still listen to his "Intuition" album to this day. I think that will always be a classic album in my ears. I can count on one hand how many albums I can literally listen to straight through multiple times in a row and "Intuition" is number 1 on that list for me.

salvia said:
Hey guys,

Dont you find it funny that Timbaland took a trip to europe, hung out with some dance producers over there, cam back and started using dance synths in his music, and now suddenly everyone is copying that electro sound?

I just find it weird how a lot of people in the US arent aware of whats going on in the world and just live in their little cocoon till someone brings it to them. There is so much more out there in terms of music.

Just bringing it back home.

Planet Rock, muthafuggah.

This Salvia dude is full of himself. Listen. Dance music, techno, trance and others are available in the U.S too. I don't think you know about the dance scenes in Detroit, Chicago, L.A and the other places. I know because I started out as a DJ. I also do my research dawg. Just because Timbaland started using arpegiators and switched his style doesn't mean he took that from Europe. Synthesizers and arpegiators are all over here but they weren't used heavily in Hip hop like they are now. Timbaland switched his style because he wanted to cater his music to a larger audience including the Pop and Dance scenes in the world. He had a vision for doing that. You will notice the difference if you listen to all his previous work from Jodeci, Aaliyah, Ginuwine, Missy, Magoo, Playa, Jay-Z, Nelly Furtado to what he is doing now. You will notice that he never did the same sounds all the time. He kept changing and evolving because people kept bitting his style. He had to do something new and fresh. He is very innovative. If you met Jimmy Douglas and spoke to him like I did, he will tell you how creative Timbaland is.

The U.S. has Dance music too which has arpegiators and synthesizers used heavily in those. Stop talking grizzy about the U.S. like you are that slick and ill. You ain't. Get the fvck outta here. This guy is an idiot. We are not close minded people. We are very much aware of what's going on in music. I'm listening to Records (vinyl, not CDs) from Stevie Wonder in the 70's and 80's with all these interesting sounds and Synthesizers. Upon all the musical geniuses from the U.S, this fool is saying some dumb sh!t. Watch your mouth kid. I have heard your music. Don't let me put you on blast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever this thread is about I find it dumb. Period. Why do we knock someone for expanding their musical knowledge? I mean blues inspired rock. Jazz influenced soul and r&b. I don't hear people getting mad at john mayer for sounding like clapton or getting mad at Neil pert for doing a buddy rich inspired and dedication album. I mean if I did a J dilla inspired album people would tell me to go eff myself for not having my own style. But a lot of times influence shine through and in time your own voice comes...or vice versa you have your own voice and you wanna show the world what influenced you...I do hate the how do the pros get they're sound/ how do I sound like///just blaze/kanye west/pete rock/preemo questions just as much as the next educated musical connoisseur but don't get mad about it and spend countless hours on a internet forum talking and flaming people for it. Lets get back to our set ups and make a track in inspiration from some of our greatest inspirations...that in turn should inspire younger generations and keep good music alive....

This Salvia dude is a kid, he doesn't know anything about Hip hop. Hip hop is so commercial now that the whole world knows about it now. Are you trying to discrete the U.S now because Timbaland switched his style and he's using more arpegiators? I notice this kid has been blasting Timbaland alot in this forum and coming up with his weird theories about Music and Math, Synths and what not.
salvia said:
Timbaland doesnt make his own sounds.....he uses sounds that he hears. His latest efforts stem from a lot of dance that is going on in Europe. So look for dance/techno/trance vst's and you should be in business.

salvia said:
It really is amazing how someone like Timbaland has made his entire career out of sampling other people and mixing and matching sounds. However, his albums still do sound better that everyone elses. I think what makes him good is he knows what sounds kool and is able to identify it, a skill that most trying to make it dont posess. Thats all music is really, knowing what sounds good and what works.

salvia said:
Haha, its funny that you should mention that cos I dare say that Timbaland uses those cheap guitars in 'Scream,' they sound pretty cheap in that song.

You sound so much like a hater. On your profile, you sound like a disgruntled old man in your bio. Do you think your music is better than Timbaland's or something? May be you want some press. I will give you press then. Put this guy on blast.

http://www.myspace.com/ssalvia

Are you happy now?

Hip hop has come a long way. It doesn't stay the same. It keeps evolving. Hip hop itself started with Turntables and a mic. It was based on samples from Breakbeats, Soul, Blues, Jazz, Rock, Reggae and a lot more. Hip hop takes a little of every music, combines them and come out with something new and fresh. It keeps changing too because it can't be the same thing all the time. That is boring. New styles keep coming out of it in order for it to be fresh everytime. I'm not talking about the ones you see on MTV nowadays. I know you watch MTV in Australia. I'm talking about this. Compare this to what you see on T.V and hear on the radio now, you will see the difference. It has come a long way and keeps changing.

Golden Era of Hip hop (1970's to mid 1990's). Yo Yo, MC Lyte, Queen Latifah, Salt-n-Pepa, Gangstarr, De la soul, Heavy D, Das Efx, C.L. Smooth & Pete Rock, Mc Shan, Naughty by Nature, Fu-schnickens, Tribe called Quest, Marley Marl & Cold Chillin, Grandmaster Caz and all the Grandmasters, Melle Mel, Sugar Hill Gang, Furious Five, KRS-One, Big Daddy Kane, Rakim, LL Cool J, Run DMC, EPMD, Jaz-O, Busta Rhymes, Funk Doc, Method man, Wu-tang, Nas, Jay-Z, Biggie, Tupac, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Kurupt, Daz, Warren G, Nate Dogg, MC Eiht, Ice Cube, Mack 10, W.C, Mc Ren, Cypress Hill, Common, J. Dilla, Slum Village, M.O.P, Lost Boyz, Mobb Deep, Sauce Money, Blackstar, Outkast, Goodie Mobb, etc. All the DJs, DJ Kool Herc, Red Alert, Funkmaster Flex, Mister C, DJ Premiere, DJ Quik, etc. I can't name everybody. The reggae influence was big back then too. Mad Lion with "Shoot to kill", Born Jamericans, Shabba Ranks, Kali Ranks, Buju Banton, Bounty Killer, Beenie Man, etc. All the rapping crews. Too many talent from the Old school, Golden Era of Hip hop. You don't know anything about that. Shut up and don't say sh!t anymore. Alright?

salvia said:
Hey guys,

aint nuthin wrong with that. It's not like he took another HIP HOP producers style. He just got inspired by a different genre. I think that's what everyone calls....ummm??..oh yeah.... they call that
HIP HOP!!!!!!!!

ednegga said:
You sound so much like a hater. On your profile, you sound like a disgruntled old man in your bio. Do you think your music is better than Timbaland's or something? May be you want some press. I will give you press then. Put this guy on blast.
On the contrary, I have the utmost respect for Timbaland. He is one of the best and most prolific producers coming out of the US at the moment, and has been doing his thing for over 15 years. My point was that it takes someone like Timbaland to start other producers expanding into different genres, and essentially copying what he began. He did the same thing in the mid 90's. If anyone else had brought out some of his stuff, with lesser known names, it would not have caught on.

And please relax about it guys. I'm really not out to offend anyone, just interested in hearing peoples opinions on the matter (not opinions on myself, which is what this topic is becoming).

Last edited:
If you ask me I hate timbaland now. He gets on my nervers. I miss the old Timbo. With all the crazy wierd samples and stuff. He all synthesized and polished. I listen to underground music now (Dilla,Pete Rock, Madlib, Spinna). And that a part of being undergound sound grimmey but still clean is like the Wu tang sound. timband is about as weak as Jazze Phae to me now. I miss the old timbo. I hopped out of moving car when I was younger because I flipped when I popped in the playa album back in the days. Timbo used to be the ishhh but now he sounds like it.

Last edited:
Doe_john said:
If you ask me I hate timbaland now. He gets on my nervers. I miss the old Timbo. With all the crazy wierd samples and stuff. He all synthesized and polished. I listen to underground music now (Dilla,Pete Rock, Madlib, Spinna). And that a part of being undergound sound grimmey but still clean is like the Wu tang sound. timband is about as weak as Jazze Phae to me now. I miss the old timbo. I hopped out of moving car when I was younger because I flipped when I popped in the playa album back in the days. Timbo used to be the ishhh but now he sounds like it.
what do you what tim to do make the same songs or albums over and over again :confused:

Back