About ADSR Filters

N

Nervouspace

How often do you have the sustain in between maximum and minimum anyways?

ADSR filters shape your sounds. Attack, Decay, Sustain, Relay. Maybe I do not understand your question, but it seems like you might not know exactly what the filters do - or you would not be asking the question. Read up on ASDR and rephrase the Q.

1) that's Release, not relay
2) the ADSR on a filter is used to open/raise the filter cutoff frequency, making the sound brighter/more full of higher harmonic content
3) the Sustain part of the filter is a constant amplitude or constant level, so causes the filter tostay open at a particular point, the higher the value the higher the point
4) Attack is a rise time, Decay is falling off time to the Sustain level, and Release is a dying away (literally a decay) time closing the filter again.

Yes but I was told that having your sustain in between 0 and 127 will give you an unnatural sound

don't listen to whoever told you that - the whole point of using an adsr on a filter is to keep it open for some part of each note...... which is what the sustain does....

ok thank you

If you know of any good videos or other "free" sources for beginner to advanced sound design let me know :)

Last edited:
I´m kind of new in producing but I´ve been reading up on the ADSR envelope. Been googeling around but can´t seem to find out what specific ADSR tool that is common to use. I have Cubase 6 but can anyone recommend a ADSR sampler for me to use? It would be much appreciated!! :-)

Back