Ableton Workflow & Saving Things...?

Chew_Bear

Confused about workflow and the general saving of sounds as it pertains to creating your own bank/folder of sounds inside Ableton. When you find a sound/patch that you really like and feel it can be saved/used for something later on...is it best to...

A. Save it as audio. That is, record what ever you can and only save what you like as a one shot, or 4/8 bar loop wav file/sample.
B. Save the midi, the vst/synth patch and audio effect rack as separate clips/files.
C. Save the whole session as a project file.
D. All of the above.

I am trying to figure out which workflow would allow me the most options and flexibility when it comes to making a library of sounds and effects that can be used when ever/where ever, when the time comes to make a track or just recall some sounds and/or presets.

D...seems kind of redundant and I feel is too much work and would take up too much hard drive space.

C...seems like a waste of space/time to make such a large project file...say for example when you only have 1 or 2 tracks in the session only (e.g. drum beat & synth lead only).

A...seems kind of limiting because you would be stuck with a sound file that you can never go back to change or edit the midi, patch or effect chain.

Would B be the best option as far as saving sounds/presets for a personal library that you can start to pool/recall from and that will also work for future patches and sounds no matter the situation...? Seems like this option would offer the most flexibility.

Is this the way most producers work/save things...?

How do most producers work when it comes to creating a bank/library of sounds and patches that they can finally start to use for their tracks and therefore not have to rely so much on pre-made presets and sample packs...?

Last edited:
In Ableton Live when you open a plug in synth inside of a MIDI track you should be given the option to save the patch that you've created as a file within your computer registry. The button to do this is at the top left corner of the modular display that you see at the bottom of the screen when you have that particular MIDI track selected. It's visible in arrangement or session mode. Usually, I just save patches this way. If there is a melody that I've created I sometimes export it as a MIDI file if I want to drop it into another project. However, HDD's and even some of the SSD's they make now can store so much data that it shouldn't be a problem for you to save an idea as a project all on it's own.

Back