90s R&B/Slow jam smooth synth

unifiedscene

Hi, I'm trying to replicate the sort of sexy/sleazy R&B/Slow jam style synth that was very popular from the mid 1990s/early 2000s in Garageband.

Generally featured in songs about makin' sweet love to a lady, a la R Kelly "Feeling on your Booty" (synth first appears when vocal drops, would post a link but forum won't let me, too new).

R Kelly and Ginuwine are two of the main "culprits".

Excellently sent up in the Lonely Island's "Dick in a Box".

It's a very smooth, bendy sound. The closest I've got so far is to use a rhodes piano and put the automatic filter effect on, but it sounds a bit too trancey. Any hints gratefully received!

Hmmm... I've been playing around and the closest I got is going for a west coast "funky worm" style synth, which I managed to hit pretty well, but there's something different about the sound I'm talking about, softer, less insistent.

so having listened to the second track (and thanks for laugh) - I can say that this is the same sort of sound that MJ used often on the "Thriller" album and the "Off the wall" album, so it is likely to be a standard Moog patch more than anything else - also hints of this in the Brothers Johnson from earlier as well as Earth Wind and Fire and some Quincy Jones stuff from the same period, to whit it can be heard on various tracks on all of these albums

I'd try to do this with a triangle wave, into a filter with moderate resonance (that is how you are going to get it to "sing") adjust adsr for the vca to match the exact sound you are looking for but ballpark would A:3; D:6; S:7; R:3

Last edited:
Back