808 Techniques

N.A.K

I like flipping samples and adding hard 808s to them, anyone have any special techniques when mixing or making their 808s?

Distortion, saturation & parallel processing. I also like to play around with bass enhancers like RBass, LoAir, MaxBass, Voice of God, etc.

Processing with Dynamics of course, i usually always parallel compress my 808s on top of a bus compress on my master, recently I've started making very very heavy bass music and one thing ill do is make a huge 808 with dynamic processing, throw some time based effects on it (chorus and a tiny bit a of phase) to push it out to the sides then ill leave one 808 straight up the middle so I have a full stereo field of mad bass, I love it. Just play around with them man 808 subs are fun, just make it different ;)

The very first thing you need to take into account BEFORE distortion and things like that is the sub content of the rest of the parts of you mix. You need to roll everything else off at 80hz....Depending on the sound you are working with you can be more agressive with your HPF.

I have some tutorials up on my channel dealing with mixing samples with 808's

The video above is a full production video that goes from creation to mastering for commercial volume

I also go over some 808 fundamentals in this video

Last edited:
Back