808 and sub bass simultaneously?

elvissango

Hie,lol i hope i posted in the right forum this time..okay I'm making a hip hop beat,i recently learned how to control the 808 bass so it cuts itself but the issue is on the beat I'm making I want to have the 808 and a sub bass playing at the same time together without there being a "rumbling sound kind of competition" between the two lol for lack of better words,how can i achieve that?

I'm gonna guess u r making some kind of trap. In trap the 808 is the sub bass so there's no need for both. If u want to have the kick align with the 808, that's a different story.
For that refer to this tutorial

Without watching the video posted above, usually it's going to be a matter of EQing, compressing, or automating the volume of one of those things while the other makes itself present.

If they are both occupying the same frequencies at the same time, then you are likely to get a muddy sound. They need to make room for one another.

Think of them as two fat people in the same tiny bathroom. One of them has to leave in order for the other fatty to take a piss, or else it gets messy. Unless you want it messy...and IMO there's certainly nothing wrong with that in the right recording environment and with the right person on the mix.

i actually found i have that type of 808 for trap lol thanx,hahaha thanx for the illustration i will take heed of the advice.thanx lots

EQ as shown above, and compression. Compress the sub-bass, and side-chain the kick or whatever into it so it ducks it out of the way. Simple as pie.

i believe there are two things to consider when you mix two sounds that focus on same frequencies

1. it is the technical problem; but if you sidechain the bass there will be no technical problems because sidechain don't let them play same time so there can be no technical problem if they don't play same time

2. from listener point of view
i think it is not cool to have same deep sounds i always love to listen a sound that is a little different from the other
so you may want to consider eq , effects and all that

Last edited:
Thanks guys lots,I resolved to using a deep brass to play with the 808 coz i wanted that heavy feel to the beat,thanx i wil use the advice always coz i know i may have to make that same type beat.thanx

In my opinion i think a sub bass would be good when it’s isolated with the melody, maybe leading into the full beat then u cut it out

I'm gonna guess u r making some kind of trap. In trap the 808 is the sub bass so there's no need for both. If u want to have the kick align with the 808, that's a different story.
For that refer to this tutorial

It’s not really. Sub bass is more of a rumbling prolonging sound. A 808 bass just like a kick and a bass together depending on what it is. A lot more bounce to it

Back