808 Portamento

Obamatitts

Hi guys, few times i heard portamento or pitch shift on 808 but i don't know what is the best way to do it. One thing i know that it can be a simple bass with portamento slide in any vst synths but i think that there is any other way to do it.
1:52 here

Whole song here

If you use FL Studio, the default sampler can actually do it pretty well. Here's how it's done. Place your note on the piano roll at the pitch you want it to start off at. Then, place a note at the pitch you want it to slide to, but don't just click. Press and hold the mouse button until the note you place shifts into a note with a triangle in the left corner. Now shorten or widen the note to change the speed, and move the note to where you want the bend to start.

pitch modulation envelopes or automations can work too depending if youre using a sample or synth based 808

sure.... if you're using ableton, or probably ANY sampler... you can put in an 808 sub sample, then put on a pitch envelope that drops pitch at whatever speed you want/decay. I do it routinely in ableton using the Sampler using the modulation tab, highlight the bottom left envelop to turn it on and put it as +12 or whatever, then modulate the speed there... can also be done in simpler

Back