808 / Bass Line Patterns...?

Chew_Bear

Confused about 808's.

I see/hear them get used in 2 ways/methods.

1. Treated as a bass instrument. = Has a 'defined/evolving' pattern and 'moves' up and down in pitch (e.g. glide/slide 808's in trap music) with the other instruments in the song.

2. Treated as a kick drum. = Has no 'defined/evolving' pattern and does 'not move' up or down in pitch. Therefore, is treated like any other percussion type instrument and has only 1/single pitch thru out the entire song (e.g. Dance/Techno music).

My confusion/questions...

A. How do I know which method to use...?

Is it obviously genre dependent and therefore depending on which type of music I am wanting to create, will obviously dictate which method I should use/try. Obviously...I should just use my ears and see which method sounds best for whatever song I am creating at the moment...correct...?

B. If I am already using an 808 as a kick drum...Do I still need a bass instrument...?

Some 808's have pretty big amplitude (loud) and drawn out where they fill up most of the low end in the song already. Therefore...it would seem like putting another bass instrument in the song, would ultimately just make the song too 'bassy' and could make the low end 'muddy'...correct...?

C. Are there any other methods to use 808's besides kick drum and bass...?

Most of my confusion comes from listening to songs where I am trying to follow the 808 in my head and trying to distinguish if the producer is using the 808 as a kick drum or as a bass instrument. There are times where I can't tell and it makes it really hard for me to try and break down the songs structure.

Sure, It seems like you pretty much nailed it and have a better grasp on 808 usage than most people already. Now days the 808 if used, usually makes up the whole bassline. In 90s music the 808 was mainly just one deep sub note accompanying a higher bassline. Here is an example of the 1 note 90s usage (Luniz - I got 5 on it) Luniz - I Got 5 On It (Instrumental) - YouTube Here is an example of the modern usage where the 808s are pitched and make up the whole bassline (August Alsina - Downtown) August Alsina - Downtown ft. Kidd Kidd (Official Video) - YouTube Like you said, it really depends on the genre you are trying to make. There are no rules but if you are pitching your 808s to make a melodic bassline you probably dont need another bass instrument, likewise if you are only using one note of an 808 it could probably use some other type of bass melody to keep things interesting and fill up the low end. Just suggestions really though, if it sounds hot then do whatever!

Trap Music tends to use the 808 in that kick drum pattern you were saying. Other Generes Rap Hip Hop Rnb tend to use the sub bass in a more melodic way versus just hitting 1 or 2 notes. It all depends on what you are trying to do honestly. There is not right or wrong answer do whatever YOU feel and you'll figure it out

Back