3 simple questions

skymilk9000

As the title suggests this is a 3 parter, it's all basic stuff but i'm fairly new to this still so i was hoping to get some insight.

[I work with FL Studio btw]

1. do you guys put swing on your beats when making trap / drill music? I know there's different varieties but i mean within the sequencer. I've been avoiding it mostly but sometimes my stuff feels a little rigid and static and i was wondering if swing was the solution to this.

2. is it normal to have a sequencer with not a whole lot going on when making trap / drill? I watched Vice's documentary on Chief Keef and Young Chop's sequencer on FL was loaded with instruments. When i listen to his stuff it doesn't sound very dense, so what gives?

3. does anybody know how to arrange drum breaks to get the cinematic trip-hop effect heard on a lot of uk chart music? A good example would be:

John Newman - Love me Again: Love me again - John Newman w/lyrics - YouTube [1:38]

Btw i know this song is corny as hell [i'm also aware it's nothing like trip hop] so please don't mock me mercilessly as it's not my taste...i just like the drums. Couldn't find a better example but i hear these kinds of drums everywhere. Tried playing around with the amen break along with others and i just end up with a mangled dnb break.

Sorry about the triple part question but i figured this was more efficient than starting 3 threads. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

- Skymilk

Back