3 days into perfecting specific deep, clear, raw subbass..

Aprod

Hey guys,

I've been busy with replicating a subbass for a few days now and its gotten to the point I just want to ask for advice:

In the attachment you can see my bass compared to the one in the song (King Yella - Clout Gmix. Can't link sorry!) with a kick quickly thrown in. It's not as open and clear, I've played around with oscillator settings, different eq's, comparing frequency charts with Izotope, layering subbass with higher bass tones onto eachother, but I'm still lacking that openness and clarity. This is killing me!! (and my ears). Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 7May-basstest_v2.mp3
    401.1 KB · Views: 20
Subbass is never very complicated. It's almost always going to be a sine wave, the only thing you need to think about are pitch and volume. Possibly you might use a lowpassed square or triangle, or add a smidge of saturation if your subbass is going to need to be heard on small systems.

If it's not as open and clear it's probably just not as loud. Have you subtley sidechained the sub to the kick to stop yourself getting massive peaks whenever the kick hits? Are you using a kick with a 'pitch' which might interfere with the bass.

or try sine sub octave and sine or triangle at pitch - gives you the added benefits of some higher harmonics without the inconsistencies introduced by distortion/bit crushing/saturation. Even experiment with polarity reversal on the at pitch or the sub octave signal to get some partial cancellations

most efforts at making a sub bass are flawed because there is no bass being doubled at the sub octave (under octave or 1 octave below the actual bass)

Last edited:
Back