2 chord changes in this song?

Yumid

He doesn't specifically use chords but I'm just trying to visualize the implied chords based on his phrases.

Am I right in assuming 2 chords? I havent figured out which 2 yet, usually i just like to know the general direction the harmony is going (up or down) then I create my own progressions based on that. But if its only 2 chords my first guess is going to be Tonic to the fifth.

Just analyzing this arrangement right now and gotta figure this out before i move on. Still lots to work on with ear training.

Its in D#m so Im guessing D#m and A#m as a start point to start trial and erroring it till i find something close..if its 2.

Last edited:
jumped the gun a little bit on the question, into the analyzing the break now and its kindaobvious its 2 changes. I was only on the first verse when i decided to ask. Figured band coach would make it pretty clear if i didn't figure it out myself haha. Still open to hearing though, i could be wrong. Still havent figured out which 2 they are yet, gonna keep going on the arrangement right now all I needed to keep going was the direction and changes.

Edit: now I'm hearing 3 changes, the little bass donk in the break led me to it..what I thought was a full 2nd chord seems to be split in 2 and the 2nd half might be moving a very small amount. 1 for 1b, then 2 chords for the next bar making a a 3 chord 2 bar loop? or is only a 2 chord 2 bar loop?

The break I'm talking about right now starts at 45 seconds and goes for 8 bars. then its goes into a build and back to 1 chord until the drop.

1-5? 1-5-4? 1-5-6? The airy pad in the background only seems to 2 chords, roughly around 1-5. But the little bass donk going into the 2nd half of the 2nd chord tells me something is going down. Like 1-5-4 ish?

Last edited:
1st: 3 chords

2nd: D#m - F# - C# - D#m (vi-I-V-i) so you were kind of right but in the wrong tonality

3rd: C# = A#m in some contexts so you were still not far wrong

4th: re-render as Ebm-Gb-Db-Ebm (and get Bbm as a bonus)

D#m = Ebm = D#-F#-A# = Eb-Gb-Bb
F# = Gb = F#-A#-C# = Gb-Bb-Db
C# = Db = C#-E#-G# = Db-F-Ab
A#m = Bbm = A#-C#-E# = Bb-Db-F

1st: 3 chords

2nd: D#m - F# - C# - D#m (vi-I-V-i) so you were kind of right but in the wrong tonality

3rd: C# = A#m in some contexts so you were still not far wrong

4th: re-render as Ebm-Gb-Db-Ebm (and get Bbm as a bonus)

D#m = Ebm = D#-F#-A# = Eb-Gb-Bb
F# = Gb = F#-A#-C# = Gb-Bb-Db
C# = Db = C#-E#-G# = Db-F-Ab
A#m = Bbm = A#-C#-E# = Bb-Db-F

so did beatport lie to me saying that the songs in D#m haha. I see you named it as a 6 chord.

yes and no - the home chord is D#m and so we could also render the progression as

i - bIII - bVII - i

but the I-V movement you knew you heard would be lost in the rendition, the main reason for me rendering it as vi-I-V-vi in F#/Gb major

note that bVII - i (C#-D#m) is considered a substitute for the v-i (A#m-D#m) cadence in the Aeolian, consisting a major chord moving to the minor chord, although everything is parallel movement

Ok last question i think.

How does the drop bassline/lead work in relation to the 3 chords? I can clearly hear the 3 chords used with the break melody and the bass donks in the break. But then when the drop hits it just seems like there are only 2 changes? To me it seems like the drop bass/lead line is following 2 chords only, hits the first few notes followed by an arpeggio upto the next chord, hits those notes a few times then arpeggios back down to the first chord and repeats.

OR a possible answer to what i just typed above, i just noticed this when listening to it before sending this post> when it arpeggios down at the very end of the 2 bar loop does it very briefly jump below the home note and hit C# for one note before going back to the home note and repeating the loop? If so that would make sense how it works in relation to the C# chord..just hitting it once as a lead back to D#? I hope I'm being clear in what I'm trying to say I'm just putting what I'm hearing in my head into words.

Basically my most recent understanding/assumption of how the lead/bassline in the drop works in relation to the 3 chords is that it hits the first note in the first chord (D#) for a few hits, arpeggios upto f# and hits it a few times, then arps back down the scale BELOW D# for one note just to hit C# as a lead back into D# to repeat the 2 bar loop? And that single hit where it goes down to C# to lead back into the D# is how the lead/bassline is referencing the 3rd chord? True or False?

Last edited:
true and false - the downward scale/arpeggio is part of the referencing as well (it will contain at least the E# and possibly more - doing some other listening at the moment, so can't listen to the track again)

true and false - the downward scale/arpeggio is part of the referencing as well (it will contain at least the E# and possibly more - doing some other listening at the moment, so can't listen to the track again)

Ok thanks and yah I understand what you mean by referencing on the way down with other notes in C#.

Back