15 year old producer (seeking advice)

35 seconds is hardly enough to offer any sort of useful advice.

only thing I would venture to say, (and this is coming from a non hip hop producing viewpoint) is to work on the complexity of your tracks going forward. All I hear in this little snippet is a pretty simple hi hat/clap/tom pattern with a few stabs. If you're stuck, put it aside for a while and work on something else, then come back to it. You might find some inspiration elsewhere.

But that's OK. I've heard the same level of work from producers in their mid-late 20s, so you've already got a jump on them if you're only 15.

keep it up

Age really dont make a differents in good music. Some people got it or they dont. i know people that love music but just dont have the talent or understanding making a hot track. If you have a love for music and a talent at the age of 15 thats good. because you have a major lead on some people that started at the of 19 or so. you have alot of time to perfect your craft. I have been writing songs for about 8 years, Sax for 10 and Piano for about 8 years. I am only 23. i been telling young people that start out to learn to play Piano learn how to read music. it will help because when you go in the studio they may throw music in your lap and tell you to play it. or tell you to play a song start c major then go to a minor, you will have to understand those things. then from then on you will have a good lead on alot of today producers. I know i do, because i play piano and sax plus i know all scales. because i been doing it since i was about 13.

I must say big ups and keep your mind on what you do make sure that you keep it hot.
Keep it up dont get fustrated when you make your track it will come to you.
Plus remember that u need to take remakes from people it will help you grow.

pccjamie said:
35 seconds is hardly enough to offer any sort of useful advice.

only thing I would venture to say, (and this is coming from a non hip hop producing viewpoint) is to work on the complexity of your tracks going forward. All I hear in this little snippet is a pretty simple hi hat/clap/tom pattern with a few stabs. If you're stuck, put it aside for a while and work on something else, then come back to it. You might find some inspiration elsewhere.

But that's OK. I've heard the same level of work from producers in their mid-late 20s, so you've already got a jump on them if you're only 15.

keep it up

35 seconds is just fine, if its just a repeating loop, what are you gonna hear different after 4 minutes? that's his main pattern, he needs ideas of what to add onto that

and about it being just a hat/clap/tom/stab, that's basically what Santana's "Mic Check" is
kids these days don't have much to look up to, you can make a hot song with just the basics, but you just have to make those basic elements count, like make that bump, make the listener feel it, make that clap snap real hard, give em whiplash, make the hi-hat bring it all together, make the stab emphasize certain parts of the beat, "Mic Check" is a sampled loop for the little outro of each pattern and a chopped up part of that sample as a stab at the beginning of each pattern, then he just has the bass drum, the Lean Back-style clap pattern, & he got Rakim co-signin it

only add when it needs it

yeah bro im 15 and im gettin good reviews all over the net....and if u post a track on here and people tell u its lame dont worry they just tryin to help..I GOT ALOT BETTER OVER 6 months people love my beats now....so jus WORK
thats my advice

**edit: Speech alert..**

just though id share a little about my beat-making process. As far as making beats goes, i am definitely really far from where i want to be. However, take from this waht you will, it may be useful.

i used to have that problem a lot, maybe a year ago when i first started. (im 17 now)
i would have a nice loop goin, and i would have no idea what else to add. i still get stumped a lot. that thing about leaving and coming back later is a good idea, but some6times that doesnt work for me. so heres what i like to do at that point...

if you are using a sample that u dont know the key of, then load up a simple piano and play around on the keyboard a bi untill you find the first note of the loop/phrase. then just go from there and play around, and find as many little "riffs" (i play guitar, dont know what else to call them) as you can.

mute the ones you make, and then go on making them. make a bunch; like ten or something all different.

during this time, if you hear anything on the piano that sounds good, that you think would imporve your beat, then work on adding that in. maybe you hear the first few notes of a solid bass line, or a lead line, or whatever.

if somehow you sont come up with anyhting at all by doing this, then i would suggest turning the beat off like pccjamie said, then come back. when you are listning to it again, try to envision (or enheearing??? lol ) somethinat that would imporve the mix.

then try to lay that down, out of your head, on the keyboard. i usually have had som,e good success with this, as i have some pretty good keyboard skills from my classical piano education.

another thing that is important or certainly helpful to do at the end is to go through and add maybe some crashes and other percussion sounds for dramatic effect.

good luck, keep ya head up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back