Working on a DIY studio desk.

silentONE

Hey everyone. I'm working to build my own studio desk. If any one of you can chime in and give me advice. I included a sketch of the front view, and mainly concerned about structural rigidity (which is the problem I'm having with my used and abused desk).
IMG_3929.JPG

Cool I've checked those all out already. I made my dimensions last night and it's looking pretty good. I have my friend drawing it out on a computer now in 3D since he has a program to do so and has been going to school for engineering. My question now is, is there any preferred or suggested hardware to be putting the pieces together. Of course, the desk will be able to be broken down into four main pieces in case of moving situations, and I don't want to be just nailing the pieces down. BTW, I'm doing research now as well while I'm asking everyone here, so if anything comes up here, that would be appreciated.

obviously each of the support units (legs) should be screwed to the top

If you have an on top riser that should be screwed onto the top using pocket screws from the front and the back via side tabs that are already screwed/glued to the riser frame (happy to explain this in more details if needed)

Hey yeh thanks for the info. I'll most likely PM you the closer it gets to putting it together with hardware.

What I would do is look at the available sizes of your timber stock first and work off that, I would probably build that shit as two boxes and just screw the top onto them from underneath, add a back with some dowel (you ain't going to see that shit) then just screw in your sliding draw.

What tools do you have and what timber do you plan to use?

I have a friend that works at a lumber yard and they have all types of sizes and wood. They'll also be able to cut the sizes I need. I don't have any tools but I'm sure I know someone who will give me a hand with that. As far as what type of wood, at the moment I'm researching what type would be the best to use and cost efficient at the same type. If you have any ideas that'll point me into the right direction with that it would be appreciated. I'm looking for a wood that'll be sturdy through being taken a apart and also through just use.

mostly use sheet plywood for the large surfaces and use pine or or maybe a hardwood for any structural frames

whatever you use remember that the heavier the timber is, the harder it will be to move the resulting structures, once built

ps

this is really just cabinetry plus table building so look into those two areas for more ideas

if you are going to be using rack mounted gear (fx/synths/etc) then also look at getting yourself some rack rails for mounting them into; read the articles at the frankes again on what and where to get them

I would also recommend pine and plywood, I built a cabinet for my turntables and rack gear out of what was basicly glorified toothpicks (1 1/2 x 3/4 pine battens) and it's held up quite well over the years, it supports a lot of really heavy gear too, my turntables and DJ mixer sit up top and and there are about 20 rack spaces on each side as well as a tower computer and record nook in the center.

I've heard about IKEA. Sounds like a good thing to try before spending a needless amount of money on something you can make anyway

Cool thanks for all the info people! The desk is actually quite nice in design my friend has already inputted all the dimension and I got to see a better picture than what I drew. I have two cabinets on the bottom for the supports. One being for the computer to isolate it and the other will be built for an option to have a rack. As far as wood...I'm looking at birch ply for the bigger surfaces, and I see people using mahogany or pine for the structural pieces. If anyone has any input on that it would be appreciated.

Back