Work-station in an apartment

Tha Professor

Let's say the floors are hardwood and the place has high ceilings. What would the best methods be of isolating as much sound as I can. Double carpeting? Maybe put something in between them? Does my subwoofer need to be on something maybe? Please post your tips and experiences working in an apartment. Would be really helpful.
Thanks

Move. No diss, but your neighbors will be complaining, unless u live in a dorm (everybody is loud) or one of those artist lofts that some cities have. The only other option is to build a room within a room. The bass will be a problem.

Move. No diss, but your neighbors will be complaining, unless u live in a dorm (everybody is loud) or one of those artist lofts that some cities have. The only other option is to build a room within a room. The bass will be a problem.

Yeah maybe you're right. Aii ima look for like a loft or some other alternative.

As long as you have near field monitors and do not mix/ make music later than around 9 you will be fine, people fail to realize you do not have to have you monitors blaring to mix correctly or make beats. I make music out of my apartment with 6" events and have yet to get a complaint.

As long as you have near field monitors and do not mix/ make music later than around 9 you will be fine, people fail to realize you do not have to have you monitors blaring to mix correctly or make beats. I make music out of my apartment with 6" events and have yet to get a complaint.

I think ima have to go for an apartment.. I make music really late and sometimes i can get really crazy with the volume. Did you do anything to the floors/walls around your monitors?

It is impossible to isolate (soundproof) any room without construction. Extra carpeting, "soundproofing foam", etc will not help despite all the things floating around the internet about it. You can treat the room to get more accurate monitoring in the room, but you might want to get a pair of solid headphones for late night sessions.

I'll echo most things said here. Having worked out of a apartment for years, the best defense against noise complaints is a good pair of headphones. Aside from that, if you have hardwoods, Put some nice plush carpet and underpad down. Treat the room with bass traps and such. While the treatment may not help too much with soundproofing, you will at least have good acoustics for when listening to monitors at a reasonable level. Have your speakers/subs on some dampening foam so as to try and cut vibrations from traveling through the walls/floors.

Really in a apartment, there isn't a whole lot you can do.

I was surprised when I moved into an apartment how little my krk rockit 6's throw the sound.
I know they are designed to be near field, but they really are!
steve118x(aka Dakoda Sada)

Apartments suck. I can hear everything that's happening outside (kids playing, drunk neighbors, ghetto ass people, landscaping, etc) plus the neighbors that live directly under me are arguing and I can usually hear what they are saying through the floor AND they play music through their stereo and the bass will easily be heard unless you are on the other side of the apartment.

I'm not trying to get any complaints so I'm not using my monitors too much, and I'm sticking with some good studio headphones a majority of the time.

I'm willing to move for better noise isolation. I'm looking for apartments and lofts right now in the Denver area.

- Unfortunately, most all of the converted factories and warehouses are obscenely expensive to rent.
- There is a movement to provide affordable housing in converted spaces for artists of all kinds beneath certain income limits, but this is brand new to Colorado.
- Exposed brick and stone and concrete is very much in vogue right now, so you pay a big premium for this style.
- Some higher end apartments, though modern, are massively built for sound isolation, but they can be pricey too.

I think it's a shame that the places that would be perfect for us musicians and producers for noise isolation are really popular with everyone else (and therefore expensive) for cosmetic reasons. But what can you do?

Anything without shared walls would be a step up. Maybe renting a cheap house, or renting a mobile home?

Back