Why does my voice sound tired?

Maczem

Hey what's up

I finally signed up on here, as this forum has really helped me in a couple of points already, but now I recently have a problem I couldnt find an answer to.

I started rapping and beat making a while ago and wanted to record my first few songs, but when I recorded them my voice sounds like i am tired or something! I usually put emotions in my voice (as i think) people who know me would probably agree to that. Could it be the mic (it is a 30 bux headset)? the place i am recording in? (In a 10 m^2 room) or something else?

It'd be great if anyone can help me with this

The possibility exists that you sound tired because you are tired...

That being said, recording vocals on a cheap mike in an untreated room rarely yields results that people are happy with.

I realize this is your first post, but when you are elligible/able, try to post a sample of your vocal sound, and describe more indepth what it is that you don't like about it.

GJ

Last edited:
most times a mic will capture exactly what is presented to it, so if you think you sound tired, then that is probably true

- is it a case of doing it again and again and again and only listening to the final recorded? or
- is it something more insidious, as in you are recording at the end of a hard day and so your tiredness/exhaustion is coming through even though you think you are projecting your regular high energy voice?

in either case

- take a break,
- rest your voice (don't talk to any one about anything),
- only drink room temperature water/beverages when recording (stops the vocal chords form being tightened by cold or damaged by heat)
- when waking do some exercises to warm your vocal chords up (scales, recitations, whatever works to loosen them up without straining them)
- record an hour after waking up (gives your voice time to settle and your brain to begin functioning)

Thanks for your fast answers.

rhythmgj: It might have been, i probably only try it after school and work, but I actually did not feel this tired and I didnt have any problems making jokes and talking in a loud, hopefully entertaining voice to my friends in a bar the same evening. I made a verse today on the way to work and will record that for you in a couple of days.

Bandcoach: Well, I've tried it a couple of times now and it always went like this. It sounded a little monotone and kind of tired and like uninterested, even after I tried to put emotions inside, more than people would normally do. See, the point is I am more in the mood to record after a day having problems and then letting my emotions come out than on weekend having hangovers and stuff. Thank you, I will try your tips on Saturday, when I got a day off :)

I was on TV already, talking on a professional mic and my voice sounded really different from those results I've just heard. Is it because I am not made for rap, the microphone or anything? I am thinking about buying the APEX 440, cos it looks like a good and cheap microphone for beginners. What would you think of that? I do not wanna buy a 100 bux mic if I simply just dont have a rap voice (Ive got a deep voice though)

Last edited:
Do you have any idea what mic or what processing was applied when you were on TV?

In most situations it is never just the mic on its own that creates your recorded sound - the preamp for the mic, other processing including eq and filtering and misc fx

No, I totally dont know haha, i did not even rap or something, just had a 1 minute interview and i was guite fascinated of my voice. But what mic would you recommend for a beginner? I have watched some filtering,... videos watched already but it did not really help though. The problem now is that I only got a headset (SAITEK GH20) which I did not even buy for rapping.

the question was somewhat rhetorical, not needing an answer

as for what to get, it comes down to whether you will use it live or studio only; if live you want a dynamic mic and can choose from an array of good and not so good mics (SM57/8/7) maybe the harmonica mic that Shure also sells, any of the AKG's and so on

For studio only, a large diaphragm condensor would be good and depending on our budget is how you would go: $300 and under look at the samson or the behringer or similar; $500-$900 another class and folks will have some opinions but Rode-NT series are good value; $1200+ another class again don't want to prejudice your choices here as you need to test and decide (this is true at all levels)

do some research and ask some more questions

I don't know anything about singing/rapping techniques, but couldn't it be that you need to exaggerate your voice (like actors do on stage) to get the emotions you want?
I would have tried modulating my voice more than I felt necessary (until I'm thinking "this just sounds hilarious" while recording) and see if it works.

This is just the first thing I could think of while reading your post.

Back