Who Really Respects The Equilateral Triangle Rule With Monitors? And how? If not?

O'mega

As a lot of you must already know, to create the hearing sweet spot your head must be one of the points of the equilateral triangle formed by you and your 2 monitors. Also, the tweeters should be at your ears level. But who CAN really respect those rules. And what do you really lose when you can't? I'll explain my situation.

I'm actually planning how I will set up my studio. My room is approx 8 X 10. If I get myself 2 25 inch screen monitors and put the audio monitors next to them, if I wanna be in the sweet spot I got to back off 3/4 of the room length which doesn't make sense! I know I could raise the screen monitors and make the triangle smaller by closing the distance between the 2 audio monitors... but I won't. For ergonomics reasons your eyes must be lined up with the top of your screens. And we all know ergonomics is important because of the amount of time we spend in the studio...

What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry about it... the wall will be covered with home made thick bass traps at speakers level and on the ceiling. Also gonna put a good carpet on the floor.

Last edited:
Basically the flatter the triangle, the wider the stereo image you're hearing (because the speakers are further along to the sides of your head), and thus ending up with more center-oriented/more mono mixes in compensation. That's what you "lose" - proper stereo translation.

Thanks for your good answer krushing. I'll go with a single 32" finally. That way I can respect the triangle. Proper stereo translation is not a sacrifice to do when you mix compared to screen monitor surface.

Most of us are not in what would be considered a 'perfect listening environment'... You just have to do what you can and try to learn the room you're in.
In my own room I have to exaggerate the bass by just a touch and give the mix a slight cut at around 650hz in order for my tracks to translate on other systems.
It was definitely a case of trial and error to work that out.

Back