Where to put my monitors in an unusual situation?

Yumid

Closets and windows are getting me down.

So i know i recently made a thread but this one is kind of a different idea. I have decided on a room now I have a new problem? where should I put my monitors in it? gonna copy and paste my thread from another forum.
---

So I know they are supposed to in between the walls symmetrically and facing down the long ways of the room..But my room might be a problem like that based on the closet and nook from the door being right behind me.

I drew a rough(not to scale haha) birds eye view of my room, and labeled the 2 options where I am deciding to put my desk. I will also include 2 pictures of the room to give you an idea of what the walls and corners look like.

Option A- This would be the typical option to go with facing the long ways down the room (although it isn't much longer, the rooms roughly 9x13 feet. thats a rough guess, no tape measure right now) But the problem with this is there will be a closet right behind me as well as the little area where the door opens up to..Will this cause problems? Putting the early reflection foams on each side of me would be easy in this position..but I couldn't hang much in front of or behind me because of the big window in front and the closet behind.

Option B- KIND OF where my desk is right now, but I would put the monitors(which i don't have yet) where i drew them on the diagram.

OR OPTION C- I didnt put this one on the paper I took a picture of because i just thought of it..Could I just leave everything where it is? Foams could go up easily on either side of me. Plus then i wouldnt have to worry about trying to find a spot for the big bed if I move my desk.

SO a few questions.

How big of a problem would it be to have the closet and nooks behind me if I went with option a?

If I went with Option B, how would I hang foams on either side of me since there is a big window on one side and my closet on the other side?

Pics

Birds eye view

closet side

window side

Option A takes the window out of most of your problem issues

dimensions?

foam or other broadband absorbers will do the trick

Option A takes the window out of most of your problem issues

dimensions?

foam or other broadband absorbers will do the trick

I have to grab a tape measure tomorrow but I'm getting them ASAP.

My biggest concerns right now are

1.)If I go with option A- Will the closet cavity and little cavity by the door be a problem since they are behind me? Assuming sound won't reflect back to me evenly.

2.)If I go with Option B, where am i going to hang the foam/broadband absorbers? On my right is that big window which probably cant be covered by foam(unless its easy to take up and down?) and on my left there is the closet, same problem as the window. I know foam is supposed to go up on either side of where the monitors are. And the window/closet kind of kill that idea for both sides.

Basically if the closet and nook being behind me won't be a big deal the only problem I have left is where the hell am I going to put my bed If I go with option A haha

Last edited:
I have to grab a tape measure tomorrow but I'm getting them ASAP.

My biggest concerns right now are

1.)If I go with option A- Will the closet cavity and little cavity by the door be a problem since they are behind me? Assuming sound won't reflect back to me evenly.

2.)If I go with Option B, where am i going to hang the foam/broadband absorbers? On my right is that big window which probably cant be covered by foam(unless its easy to take up and down?) and on my left there is the closet, same problem as the window. I know foam is supposed to go up on either side of where the monitors are. And the window/closet kind of kill that idea for both sides.

Basically if the closet and nook being behind me won't be a big deal the only problem I have left is where the hell am I going to put my bed If I go with option A haha

I would still go for Option A; symmetry is much more important where the monitors are at your desk position. What is happening on the wall behind you is not as important. You do not require it to be even. If you consider that what is coming directly form the monitors and the early reflections are going to reach way before any secondary reflections from the back wall.
Are you using the closet, if not I would fill it with insulation. The back wall needs thick bass Trapping if possible. If you are using the closet consider a freestanding bass trap to put in front of it.

I would still go for Option A; symmetry is much more important where the monitors are at your desk position. What is happening on the wall behind you is not as important. You do not require it to be even. If you consider that what is coming directly form the monitors and the early reflections are going to reach way before any secondary reflections from the back wall.
Are you using the closet, if not I would fill it with insulation. The back wall needs thick bass Trapping if possible. If you are using the closet consider a freestanding bass trap to put in front of it.

Are you talking about

1.)symmetry regarding sitting in the middle of the wall and having the the speakers point down the long part of the room?
2.)Or symmetry regarding the walls on my left and right aren't a closet and a window?

Because if you were talking about the 1.), my room actually isn't as rectangle as I drew it out to be. The 'long' direction of the room looks way longer in relativity to the 'short' side on the picture than it actually is. Its almost a square if you disregard the closet and nook by the door.

Basically If I go with option B I will have trouble foaming/broadbanding my sides BUT ill be able to put up more than enough bass traps behind me.. If I go with Option A, foaming my sides will be easy. But bass traps behind me will be a problem.

Last edited:
Are you talking about

1.)symmetry regarding sitting in the middle of the wall and having the the speakers point down the long part of the room?
2.)Or symmetry regarding the walls on my left and right aren't a closet and a window?

Because if you were talking about the 1.), my room actually isn't as rectangle as I drew it out to be. The 'long' direction of the room looks way longer in relativity to the 'short' side on the picture than it actually is. Its almost a square if you disregard the closet and nook by the door.

unless you were talking about symmetry based on the fact I would have clean walls to each of my sides to hang foam.

Basically If I go with option B I will have trouble foaming/broadbanding my sides BUT ill be able to put up more than enough bass traps behind me.. If I go with Option A, foaming my sides will be easy. But bass traps behind me will be a problem.

I do mean Number 1)

In a situation like this where you have so many pros and cons for two positions I would always recommend testing. Are you familiar with the REW software?

I do mean Number 1)

In a situation like this where you have so many pros and cons for two positions I would always recommend testing. Are you familiar with the REW software?

Nah I'm pretty new to all this acoustic treating stuff. Been looking at monitors for awhile now and It stumbled me into finding out about room acoustics too. So I'm working on that before go out and spend money on monitors. Basically this whole thing of me just needing a few hundred dollar set of monitors has snowballed into me about to spend a lot of money haha. Somehow in the midst of all this i decided I wanna buy some plug ins too:4theloveofgod: haha.

But anyway, I called a guy who does this around my city and he said it would be roughly 600 bucks to treat a room this size. I could probably figure out where to hang them all myself I'm assuming. I don't really need someone to come in and do the labour as much as I need someone just telling me how to do it.

Im gonna play around with arrangement tomorrow, gonna try and make Option A fit with my bed and dresser and stuff. How would having my bed and dresser in the room affect reflections considering they would throw off symmetry? With all my stuff in here the rooms pretty full.

Last edited:
Some acoustic treatment companies offer free acoustic advice. They will have forms to fill in, and have no obligation to buy. That is another option but 600 - 1000 would be a fair assessment

I think thats one of the first things i read when I came to this site actually. I know the difference, and I know the idea behind it all I just don't know the science behind setting and placing the traps/foams. Im more interested in how my specific room is going to affect having to put up traps. I could do a rectangle one myself easy but I don't know how to treat the closet and door area. And I don't wanna spend more than I have to by making mistakes. But I also don't wanna give someone else 400 bucks just to hang them when I can do that myself. I just gotta figure out exactly where they will go in my room. Assuming I'm going with position A.

Last edited:
Yumid, what are the dimensions of your room?
8' by 8'?
It might just be the perspective in the pictures you took, but your room looks pretty small!

Yours might be a situation where a good pair of monitoring headphones might translate better than monitors would.
Can you measure the dimensions with a tape measure?

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Back