When is the rite time to start getting equipment ?? New to producing .

Yeah. Don't get sucked into tech hype. Why do you think there's a site called "gearslutz?" Take Dremur's advice and master what you already have. FL Studio is legit. It was the first DAW I learned, but I switched to mac and run logic now. I might go back actually. Start learning!! Go on youtube, google, this site (of course,) etc and study up on every aspect of production. From eq, compression, automation, mono tracking, mid side processing to learning how a sampler works and programming your own synth patches. Theres so much information out there. Just remember that there are NO RULES to production. There are some standards that correspond to genres but basically the sky is the limit.
Over time it will become clear what to purchase and your money will become more efficient in that respect.
you will need near-field monitors at some point. You can get away with headphones for now, but you will want to monitor bass and other phantom images someday.
Hope this helps and good luck!

^ i think monitors are the first thing you should purchase.
cos even if you end up bailing on producing, youll have a fresh pair of speakers :)

As others have said, just get it when you NEED it. Try to avoid getting it because it looks nice, or would look good in your studio, or you see others using them. At the end of the day though, as a Producer, you're going to like the look of equipment. Atleast I do... you need to try to persuade yourself to save your money as it can be better invested in essentials.

As others have said, just get it when you NEED it. Try to avoid getting it because it looks nice, or would look good in your studio, or you see others using them. At the end of the day though, as a Producer, you're going to like the look of equipment. Atleast I do... you need to try to persuade yourself to save your money as it can be better invested in essentials.

in regards to essentials, audio interface and monitors should be the first boxes you tick.

Last edited:
Back