What's the reason that we see many big producers making beats in untreated rooms?

massivewolf

Hi guys, I know there's arguments time and time again about treated rooms vs. untreated rooms. But today, you'll notice a lot of hip hop producers making radio style hits from their untreated rooms and mixing/mastering just fine in them.

So I guess the thought I'm wondering about is, perhaps treated rooms aren't always necessary to result in an excellent product on par with treated rooms?

You can make a beat anywhere. Treatment isn't needed for that. The sound doesn't have to be very clean and accurate at that point.

Treatment is used for recording and mixing. That's totally different from making a beat.

Also keep in mind that simply because there's a photo or video floating around with non treated rooms, is only part of the story. Often the initial record is done in just about any environment, and later, it's recorded again in a nice situation.

This is especially true with mixes. Sure the new YouTube artist whose blowing up recorded in an untreated room, but where was it mixed?

theres always an exception to a rule, but for every 1 great album done in a bad room, there's 5 that were done in good ones.

if you really want to hear the difference that mixing makes in a good room here's a simple test.

Listent to artist ABCXYZ Major Label or Official album at a lower volume on headphones.
now listen to the same artists mixtape.

Youll probablynfind that the vocals aren't as clear, and neither is the mix.

You can make a beat anywhere. Treatment isn't needed for that. The sound doesn't have to be very clean and accurate at that point.

Treatment is used for recording and mixing. That's totally different from making a beat.

Also keep in mind that simply because there's a photo or video floating around with non treated rooms, is only part of the story. Often the initial record is done in just about any environment, and later, it's recorded again in a nice situation.

This is especially true with mixes. Sure the new YouTube artist whose blowing up recorded in an untreated room, but where was it mixed?

theres always an exception to a rule, but for every 1 great album done in a bad room, there's 5 that were done in good ones.

if you really want to hear the difference that mixing makes in a good room here's a simple test.

Listent to artist ABCXYZ Major Label or Official album at a lower volume on headphones.
now listen to the same artists mixtape.

Youll probablynfind that the vocals aren't as clear, and neither is the mix.

Thank you, this answered everything for me.

Back