What do I buy to start making beats

GianniBlass16

I have the money but I need to know where to start. Step buy step can someone explain to me what I need to start producing tracks for artist:monkey: :angel: :cry:

Option 1:Get a all in one keyboard like Korg triton or Motif. This option is cool but you sometimes end up with a limited sound.

Option 2:(Best) Get you a Mpc2000, MPC200XL, MPC3000 which ever you can afford. Then you purchase a sound module or two like EMU Proteus 2000, Planet Phat, or even the Triton Rack Mount Version of the keyboard.

This would round off to about $2000 but check the aution sites for used gear or the use section of www.sweetwater.com

Option 3: Go the computer & software route and buy a new computer (fast with lot's of ram and hard disk space) and some software (Reason, Fruityloops, etc.) depending on what you want to be making (beat wise). Hope that helps. Ask any questions you might have, and welcome to Future Producers!

Option 3: Go the computer & software route and buy a new computer (fast with lot's of ram and hard disk space) and some software (Reason, Fruityloops, etc.) depending on what you want to be making (beat wise). Hope that helps. Ask any questions you might have, and welcome to Future Producers!

^^^.. Need I say more?.. you could also go software/hardware route. Get a nice rack.. midi controller... interface... and sequencer of your choice (PC: I reccomend Cubase SX/SL, Mac: DP) then go to work!.... I could go into more detail if I knew exactly where u were headed, your budget, music experience, etc etc. But all these options are a good thoro start.

:cheers:

DaOriginalBlade said:
Get a nice rack..

sounds like my plan for friday night. :D

seriously, i'd say just starting out and going directly to what most ppl here consider the best stuff (triton, motif, mpc) is maybe a little overboard. nothing wrong with getting straight into good stuff, but something a bit simpler would be probably easier to start with (like a $200 drum machine).

but then again, if you do have a s*itload of money to spend, spend away.

unless this is just a hobby and you are doing this just to mess around, I would never say get a $200 drum machine cause that will not get you where you need to be. You will end up with nothing but some wack sounds and wack drum loops but no complete song compositions.

my point was, if you have the time, it's good to start from simple things. if you just right up buy the triton and the mpc and the daw system it might be a little overwhelming. nothing wrong with it.

plus, cheap-*** drummachines are cool. :)

dont buy anything. Unless you want to actually show all of the beats you are making to the music world and sell them.
I recomend fruity loops 3.4 for beat making and
Cool edit 3 for recording guitars and stuff
p.s. all this is said assuming you have a computer

Back