vocal mixdown in cubase?

B

BThrowd

OK im using Cubase, my boy just layed down a verse and some adlibs 5 tracks in all everything panned just how i want it and eq also.
Im now wanting to mixdown just the vocals to make it 1 track instead of 5 to take up less space. so i can lay down my verse.
1st question should i mix the main vocals and adlibs on seperate tracks or can i do mixdown to one?
2nd should i mix to mono if i have adlibs panned?
Also in Cubase is there a better way to mixdown certain tracks rather than muting the ones you dont want mixed?
Thanks

I don't know Cubase, but you don't want to bounce to mono because you will lose all panning.

Mono sums everything and makes it sound dead center.

so should i maybe mix the main vocal down in mono since its dead center and mix adibs down in stereo?

Typically a vocal would be center panned when mixing in stereo so it would be mono in essence. The adlibs can be place to your liking.

is there a reason why you want to mix them down specifically?...maybe you need more tracks I guess....I still use cubase vst5, and have yet to figure out a quick and efficient way to export/mix down certain tracks to clean things up, or write the effects to audio to free up efx sends or what not....I export it all individually to a folder, then import it back in track by track sometimes, then go from there....its a pain in the ass kinda, but I generally do things the hard way and go with what I find works, so whatever.

probably didnt help you at all with ur problem, just yapping here :)

Cubase has unlimited tracks just leave them alone. You dont want to scrunch tracks up unneccessarily. What if you have to change somthing your gonna be cursing up a storm trust me.

If you insist on doing it here:

considering you have cubase SX

first you must cycle the part you want to export, (use the locators).

Next solo ONLY the tracks you want to consolidate.

File>Export>Audio Mixdown

Now a box will pop up.

name the file, choose file type, where it says channels choose stereo interleaved (to keep your panning settings) Make sure the resolution and sample rate is the same as in the project.

on outputs choose stereo out (leave the real-time export and update display box unchecked) but check the box that says audio track (the pool box will automatically check).

Do a once over to make sure all is right and then hit save.

Now you should see a stereo track of the 5 tracks you had. You can now delete the 5 tracks because they are mixed down into a stereo channel.

Hope this was easy to follow.

Note: Cubase will export the tracks you select with all settings you applied to them in the project window. i.e compression reverb, volume curves the whole 9.

If you have cubase 5 this would be a nightmare to do!

Last edited:
There has to be (in fact I know there is) an option to just merge the tracks together within your existing song window, so they will then simply be merged without exporting....But I have no idea how to do it specifically because I never have the need really.

What I wish is you could do is apply the effects to the audio within the sequencer, and just write them right there, without having to export the file and basically write it to a folder then import it back in....Maybe you can in SX?...not to thrad jack or anything ;)

So yea, anyways...I think what you are looking for is simply "merge tracks".
Pick up the manual and read about it, or use the help finder and type in that topic to read up on it...Been awhile, but I think basically what you can do is select the tracks you want to merge by highlighting them...then highlight the stereo track you want to merge them to in your seqencer, then go under structure and select the option "merge tracks"

Dont take my word for it as that is how to do it though....ur gonna need to play around with it maybe and read up on it to figure it out some....save your work before hand!

Wrong!

"merge tracks" simply takes all the tracks and stacks them up onto one track. And only the event that is on top would be heard.

You said you use cubase 5, I explained the procedure for SX, dont give advise on a application you dont even use.

SX is way different than 5 my friend.

You are assuming he is using SX....from a previous topic I thought I remembered BT saying he is using VST, at any rate the function I am talking about would most definelty be in one and the other versions following....it is a bread and butter simple audio procedure that would be needed

My bad on the "merge tracks" thing....what I meant to say was to select "merge audio segments" which DOES in fact merge all audio segments into ONE segment, which might be useful to him for what he is trying to do.

That worked pretty good mikey. What i had done in the past was mute the ones i didnt want instead of selecting the ones i did. I guess i was takin the long route.
On the outputs under import to, if i uncheck the audio track and leave the pool selected would it then import to the pool and not save it on file?
Also whats a quick way to check what resolution im recording in on SX? I assume its 24 cuz i havent changed it. In vst32 5 it said right up top.
Ill read up on that merging segments 555
that might help me out too.
Thanks for the info
BTW
What resolution do yall guys record in?

BThrowd said:
That worked pretty good mikey.

I am not mike, LOL thats my friend. Thats alright you didnt know. Everyone makes that mistake.

On the outputs under import to, if i uncheck the audio track and leave the pool selected would it then import to the pool and not save it on file?

If you didnt check the audio or pool box, it would save the file to the disk, but you would have to fish the file out. It might even save it to another folder, which will make it harder to look for. I think before it does that it may prompt you to point it to a specific folder though.

Also whats a quick way to check what resolution im recording in on SX?
What resolution do yall guys record in?

Open the project inspector, now once the inspector is open on the bottom of it you should see, a black box with text in it. It should say something like (24bit, 48,000khz). I record in 24@48k.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
CubaseRox said:

I am not mike, LOL thats my friend. Thats alright you didnt know. Everyone makes that mistake.
LOL my bad
Thanks for the info tho

^^ yeah bouncing is similar, I really dont know to say myself, I just use the export function. It seems to be fairly easy to do.

Back