Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vocal mixdown in cubase?

BThrowd is offline Senior Member

vocal mixdown in cubase?

Sign in to disable this ad
    OK im using Cubase, my boy just layed down a verse and some adlibs 5 tracks in all everything panned just how i want it and eq also.
    Im now wanting to mixdown just the vocals to make it 1 track instead of 5 to take up less space. so i can lay down my verse.
    1st question should i mix the main vocals and adlibs on seperate tracks or can i do mixdown to one?
    2nd should i mix to mono if i have adlibs panned?
    Also in Cubase is there a better way to mixdown certain tracks rather than muting the ones you dont want mixed?
    Thanks
    ya dig?

Tim20 is offline Insane FP Patriot
    I don't know Cubase, but you don't want to bounce to mono because you will lose all panning.

Mono sums everything and makes it sound dead center.

BThrowd is offline Senior Member
    so should i maybe mix the main vocal down in mono since its dead center and mix adibs down in stereo?
    ya dig?

Tim20 is offline Insane FP Patriot
    Typically a vocal would be center panned when mixing in stereo so it would be mono in essence. The adlibs can be place to your liking.

Ebbiguise555 is offline Universal Soldier
    is there a reason why you want to mix them down specifically?...maybe you need more tracks I guess....I still use cubase vst5, and have yet to figure out a quick and efficient way to export/mix down certain tracks to clean things up, or write the effects to audio to free up efx sends or what not....I export it all individually to a folder, then import it back in track by track sometimes, then go from there....its a pain in the ass kinda, but I generally do things the hard way and go with what I find works, so whatever.

probably didnt help you at all with ur problem, just yapping here

CubaseRox is offline Status: Producer Mode
    Cubase has unlimited tracks just leave them alone. You dont want to scrunch tracks up unneccessarily. What if you have to change somthing your gonna be cursing up a storm trust me.

If you insist on doing it here:

considering you have cubase SX

first you must cycle the part you want to export, (use the locators).

Next solo ONLY the tracks you want to consolidate.

File>Export>Audio Mixdown

Now a box will pop up.

name the file, choose file type, where it says channels choose stereo interleaved (to keep your panning settings) Make sure the resolution and sample rate is the same as in the project.

on outputs choose stereo out (leave the real-time export and update display box unchecked) but check the box that says audio track (the pool box will automatically check).

Do a once over to make sure all is right and then hit save.

Now you should see a stereo track of the 5 tracks you had. You can now delete the 5 tracks because they are mixed down into a stereo channel.

Hope this was easy to follow.

Note: Cubase will export the tracks you select with all settings you applied to them in the project window. i.e compression reverb, volume curves the whole 9.

If you have cubase 5 this would be a nightmare to do!
    Last edited by CubaseRox; 09-14-2004 at 08:06 PM.
    I dont read long posts....

Please Check Out The Links!
    my sound click page
    mikey cat sound click page

There has to be (in fact I know there is) an option to just merge the tracks together within your existing song window, so they will then simply be merged without exporting....But I have no idea how to do it specifically because I never have the need really.

What I wish is you could do is apply the effects to the audio within the sequencer, and just write them right there, without having to export the file and basically write it to a folder then import it back in....Maybe you can in SX?...not to thrad jack or anything

So yea, anyways...I think what you are looking for is simply "merge tracks".
    Pick up the manual and read about it, or use the help finder and type in that topic to read up on it...Been awhile, but I think basically what you can do is select the tracks you want to merge by highlighting them...then highlight the stereo track you want to merge them to in your seqencer, then go under structure and select the option "merge tracks"

Dont take my word for it as that is how to do it though....ur gonna need to play around with it maybe and read up on it to figure it out some....save your work before hand!

CubaseRox is offline Status: Producer Mode
    Wrong!

"merge tracks" simply takes all the tracks and stacks them up onto one track. And only the event that is on top would be heard.

You said you use cubase 5, I explained the procedure for SX, dont give advise on a application you dont even use.

SX is way different than 5 my friend.
    I dont read long posts....

Please Check Out The Links!
    my sound click page
    mikey cat sound click page

You are assuming he is using SX....from a previous topic I thought I remembered BT saying he is using VST, at any rate the function I am talking about would most definelty be in one and the other versions following....it is a bread and butter simple audio procedure that would be needed

My bad on the "merge tracks" thing....what I meant to say was to select "merge audio segments" which DOES in fact merge all audio segments into ONE segment, which might be useful to him for what he is trying to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information