Using egg boxes in the studio...

TagYourBeats

3 Beat Tags = JUST $15!!
I have lots of weird little habits I have picked up over the last 10 years, mainly because i was broke in the beginning and always had to think of the cheapest/most affordable way to do what I needed to do.

One of these things is to put egg boxes up behind my monitors to help with the deflection of sound. It's obviously a lot cheaper than getting the studio foam, but it doesn't look quite as cool.

Does anyone else do this?

And do you know if it even really makes a difference?

I've always done it because messing with the deflection of sound is something I was taught in the early days...but I honestly couldn't tell you if I'm better off for it or not.

egg cartons have been ubiquitous in ghetto sound treatment for the last 40 years or more - however, whilst they help with diffusion they are poor at absorption being too stiff and not porous enough.

better to spring the bucks and get the real deal, but know that too much foam can make your room sound lifeless/dead: getting the right balance takes time

I hear you.

The sound itself isn't such a problem because I have fairly thick walls and old deaf neighbours lol...but it's more the diffusion which I struggle with, because I honestly can't tell a different.

I have lots of weird little habits I have picked up over the last 10 years, mainly because i was broke in the beginning and always had to think of the cheapest/most affordable way to do what I needed to do.

One of these things is to put egg boxes up behind my monitors to help with the deflection of sound. It's obviously a lot cheaper than getting the studio foam, but it doesn't look quite as cool.

Does anyone else do this?

And do you know if it even really makes a difference?

I've always done it because messing with the deflection of sound is something I was taught in the early days...but I honestly couldn't tell you if I'm better off for it or not.

Although covering your walls and ceilings with these products will change the sound of your room – they really don’t amount to much. They have no density to speak of – and thus do not affect low frequencies, as a diffusor they are much too shallow and too uniform to have any real effect. In short, even if you can get them for free – they aren’t really giving you anything (acoustically) of value in your room.

People use egg cartons because they kind of look like Auralex. That's about it - yes, they'll help with diffusion a little, but so does sticking just about any stuff to your walls.

And remember, even the real acoustic foam is just the icing on a cake - the "meat" of the room treatment is achieved through proper bass trapping and acoustic panels.

Back