tricky room studio

nznlsk

able808
okay so i want to make a "studio" in my room and im going to need some hints tips and help, thanks :) i have money for acoustic foam and curtains (for windows) but how should I do this, any ideas? btw my room is pretty large, with a lot of doors. 2013-02-17_23-27-08_276.jpg2013-02-17_23-29-38_5.jpg

Hello!

What are your goals with the space? Will you be doing a lot of mixing/engineering? Or mostly recording? I would try to avoid foam if possible and get treatment that is truly broadband. Foam will only dampen the high end and won't do much to absorb bass at all. You can see the following test for the difference in bass traps vs. foam: Comparing Acoustic Foam to GIK 244 Bass Traps

Well listen, I was thinking of putting up a decent amount or foam and including bass traps in the corners, and I was thinking mostly of recording in this room. Would that suffice?

Well listen, I was thinking of putting up a decent amount or foam and including bass traps in the corners, and I was thinking mostly of recording in this room. Would that suffice?

You would likely get better results with multiple 4" panels throughout the room. I can't really tell you if it will suffice or not, as that depends. I wouldn't use foam in a recording room since the only thing it will do is cut down flutter echo, which due to the shape of your room, you likely don't have a ton of.

4 inch thick panels? Okay and your right i dont have too much flutter echo, but would u still recommend bass traps?

4 inch thick panels? Okay and your right i dont have too much flutter echo, but would u still recommend bass traps?

Yes, but I would insist on fiberglass or mineral wool bass traps and not foam bass traps per the test above to get the best recordings. you still want to treat the walls with broadband absorption to reduce reflections a bit though. For example, I wouldn't want reflections coming from your angled ceiling so close to the drumset. If the set had to stay there, I would likely treat above it with acoustic panels or bass traps.

what if i just got a bunch of 4" foam i mean its better than anything else and its all the money i have for, lol im 15!

Blankets will absorb high frequencies, foam will absorb mids and high frequencies, and acoustic panels would get you down into the bass realm. Using moderately narrow band absorption like a blanket doesn't help a ton as it simply acts like a low pass filter for decay times, which isn't extensively helpful but can curb SOME harmful reflections. Foam is more broad and therefore better - still acts like a low pass filter, but curbs more harmful reflections down to a lower frequency. If you only use foam, I would advise to ONLY use a product that has been tested - many people manufacture random "foam" and just call it "acoustic foam" or "soundproofing foam" when it really doesn't work as well. And others literally COPY the data from Auralex's tests so make sure you're looking at the real data report from the lab. I would advise the same with panels or bass traps. While foam will kill reflections, it still won't really give you the best recording possible, as the room can still make toms or the kick sound boomy or thin, but you'll likely get much crisper cymbals and a good punch from the snare with foam or thin (1-2") acoustic panels (similar with other instruments as well).

So in closing, yes it CAN be better than nothing in a small room, but won't help with the whole picture, only a small part of it.

Last edited:
Back