Tips to decrease room noise?

KidBayJay

What are some easy things I can do in basic set up to reduce room noise in recording vocals and guitar? I'm looking for simple things I can do involving mic and amp positioning, volume of amp, volume of guitar, recording volume on computer etc... thanks for the help.

By room noise do you mean natural room reverb ? or outside noise?

if you arent looking to start sticking things on the walls (studio foam) i suggest hanging up some heavy blankets some how? or put some things in the room such as a book shelf with some books on it? just a few suggestions.

Studio foam or blankets could help.

Also having dense furniture in the room can help absorb some sounds also.

Hope this helps.

Ok thanks I'll try the blankets thing. I was also thinking of things such as the position of the mic as opposed to the amp/vocalist, the input volume on the computer, the volume on the amp etc. For instance if I want to turn up the volume but keep the room noise at a minimum should I turn up the amp first or turn up the input on the computer first?

Oh! try not to place the mic too close to any walls, for as the room reverberations are at their strongest in those areas.

Try putting it near the center. And dont totally encapsule the mic with blankets, leave some small open gaps.

Let me know how it sounds.

i have been using fat chicks to absorb sound and am quite pleased !! pretty cheap too - only costs cheesburgers !

Ok, thanks that was a little more helpfull. I'm posting from a public computer right now, when I get my internet back and my studio set up with these modifications I think I'll just post an audio soundcheck and maybe a picture of my studio and you can give me some more tips.

I'm posting from a public computer right now.

When you go back home change your passwords.

Some "public" computers may contain key logging programs, that send an email to a specific person.The programs records all the keystrokes from the keyboard. Also called "spyware".

I am not saying that the computer your using is definitely infected, but it wont hurt to take precautions.

It also depends if the computer is protected by firewalls etc. but sometimes these programs find their way into the computer by some guy using it and viewing certain websites.

I would be careful when using a "public" computer for your personal needs i.e. accessing accounts and stuff.

I know its off the subject but I though I should tell you anyway.

Good luck with decreasing your room noise.

Last edited:
Back