Synthesizer "phase" parameter?

dizkojockey

Hi guys, can any of you give me some pointers on using the phase knob when synthesizing sounds. I use Sylenth1 mainly but I rarely use phase. I understand that it changes the point at which a waveform starts its cycle, so you can have two waveforms running slightly out of sync. But it doesn't appear to make much difference to sounds, to me. Why would you adjust the phase and under what circumstances? What is it used to try and achieve, improve or benefit. I know I am overlooking something here as it must have some kind of creative benefit. If someone could explain some situations where it could be a huge benefit or asset to my sound design that'd be great. It's one thing knowing how these things work yet entirely another putting them into creative practice.

Cheers guys

so a phase knob in any synth should shift the starting point in the wave table by +/- 180[sup]o[/sup] any more and you are starting to wrap the right hand side around to the left hand side and vice versa

as to why any phase shift will cause phase cancellations/reinforcements in two waves of the same pitch and same amplitude - if the amplitudes are different then the cancellations/reinforcements will be different but will tend to create similar effects

at the same amplitude a phase shift of 90[sup]o[/sup] on one of the two waveforms, the two waveforms reinforce each other at square root of 2 (1.414) x the base amplitude of both waveforms

at the same amplitude a phase shift of 180[sup]o[/sup] on one of the two waveforms, the two waveforms cancel each other

at different amplitudes the effect will be two increase/reduce overall amplitude without complete cancellation/reinforcement

if you change the pitch of one of the waveforms to be some integer harmonic of the other then the effects are placed in the harmonic spectrum of the resulting waveform

as for what it does start experimenting by using choosing exact positions for each phase shift knob, trying octave and other points like +/-7 semitones or +/- 5 semitones (5ths or 4ths) for the second waveform, try changing the waveform of just one oscillator and observe the aural and spectral results of the changes

Get two oscillators at the same time. Do not detune them at all. Make sure they're not free running.

Now change the phase of one of the oscillators.

Back