surround sound system used for speakers?

antperri1222

hey guys I have a pioneer surround sound system for our living room. I never really use it for tv, could I use it for music production instead of getting monitor speakers? thanks

You can try whatever you like; some people do mix on more home/hi-fi type speakers. Monitors (good ones) differ from "hyped" stereo speakers in that they are "flat response" devices; in other words, there won't be any added coloration to the sound-- what you hear is what you get and this really aids in the mix process.

I would not use a 5.1 or 7.1 system to mix, unless your primary format, market, and audience will be for surround/5.1/7.1. Most people listen to music in stereo, however.

GJ

...but of course you can just take, say, the front speakers from a 5.1 & use those. Speakers are speakers; studio monitors aren't fundamentally different in that sense, even if they're designed for a flatter frequency response, as mentioned.

Yes. You can mix on a pair of matched Victrola horns if you are willing to spend the time to get to know them.

GJ

Back