suggestion of programs for mastering?

D

Decisive

I got tracks Iam doing.. putting together... a mixtape... need some not very complicated and which I can pick up easily... so I need a mastering program.... any suggestions?

thanks

^1.

Ozone, TRacks, Waves -- just to mention a few. Or a combination of VST plugins (limiter, compressor, muliti-band eq, etc)

But seriously: you should leave mastering to a pro mastering facility for a number of reasons.

For Simple N Great, u could use Tracks24
for mastering each track individually and adobe audition for the final levelling of all cd tracks.

iZotope Ozone $329 (DrectX/VST) Plugin
T-Racks $299 (Stand alone)
Wave Platium $1600 (DrectX Plugins)
Yamaha makes one also for $179 forgot the name of it thought.
I use Ozone and it works wonders, read that its even better then t-Racks
But I am still trying to get that mastering Effect like the Pro's its hard
Make sure you have monitor Speakers or some really good headphones to master with (your best bet is monitor Speakers)
The goal is to make you music sound the same on a $1000 Stereo system to a $40 cd player.Of course when u mix down u want it to sound the best u can.but Giganova has a point would be better to leave it to the Pros BECAUSE they have like $5,000 Monitor Speakers and hardware mastering Racks and can master to Studio Grade CDs (Not CDRs)

Good Luck
Dreaminginstereo

DreaminginStereo said:
... would be better to leave it to the Pros BECAUSE they have like $5,000 Monitor Speakers and hardware mastering Racks and can master to Studio Grade CDs
... and have years of experience in the pro business and ears like Spock!

it would be a good idea to leave it to the pros, but giving your shot at mastering wouldnt hurt, hopefully not too much, but personally i use soundforge 7.0 for mastering along with waves plug ins and t racks, one good thing about soundforge is you can use its visuals, lets say you want to get those specific annoying frequencies lowered, you can pinpoint them exactly with some very helpful real time graphs they have in soundforge, you can always use your ears, keep in mind you need more than decent pair of monitor speakers, but if you're just starting out, visual graphs like that can help out with eqing, although the software will run you for about 350, if you wanna give mastering a shot, its very useful to learn from

Last edited:
I use Waves, Wavelab 4 and Soundforge 7 for mastering, Ozone for rough ideas. I never release anything mastered by me though, but instead only use the tools to give to the mastering engineer on want I like.

I wouldn't master my own work, your ears get to accustomed to it, and look over errors sometimes, not to mention it may become too personal. You want a secondary listener's ears, not the creator's ears to master, for the most part. You also want a true understanding of parametric EQs, dithering and the ability to identify frequency ranges by ear.

Try Ozone, for a starting route, or the tools in Soundforge. You never know, you could probably do it yourself. Even if you decide you don't want to do it yourself, you could still learn to understand what the mastering houses' job is, what it does, how to communicate with them and what or how to send your best results, to get best results and workflow. Get Waves or hardware later, if you like the results.

The Yamaha one is called "Final Master". It sounds pretty good, and I think its got to be around 150 or so (prolly cheaper in US).

What I've been using to *attempt* mastering is WaveLab 3 (I bought from steinberg canada site for 100 bucks (Its not upgradable). But it got VST effects support, and everything else I seem to need (don't do no surround sound mixing).

And I'm hoping the Waves Rennaissance Maxx Bundle will help my mastering (an FM article said you could get a pretty good sound using Rennaissance for mastering.), I'm really hoping because the copy I ordered comes in today.

Back