Is sound treatment super necessary?

cheaplabour

Hey! New to this forum, excited to see what I can learn from this place!

I'm a guy who would probably still consider myself a newbie when it comes to mixing. I am currently tracking and mixing my first bigger project, an EP with my band.

Back to topic though...
I'm thinking about ordering a pair of KRK RP6 Rokit G3 monitors (after a lot of recommendations) for some home mixing. I have access to a studio too with a somewhat sound treated recording room and mixing room.
My question is, how important is it that I sound treat my room? I'm thinking that I'll put my "mix station" in my room, which is a relatively large room that I can imagine doesn't necessarily have a very flat freq. response.

If you deem it necessary, to what degree is it necessary? Would it be enough to just hang some bass-absorbing soft fabric on the walls? Perhaps sound treatment isn't that necessary when you're mixing on low levels?

Thanks in advance from the sort of newbie guy!

Hey man, my studio isn't soundproofed and I can work with high and low levels. but I'm not 100% sure if it's actually a really bad. Also if you want to use the monitors for mixing & mastering, I wouldn't recommend the krk rokits. for a mixing environment the speakers should have a flat frequency response, and apparently krk speakers are colored, have a bit of bass boost, and they have a dip in the middle of the frequency spectrum (I have not heard them but I've heard a few people say that) I personally use the Yamaha HS7 and they're really good imho.

Sound treatment is necessary , super necessary? I can't answer. Many professional artists producing, mixing in a common room with a good pair of monitors. I had the pair of Krk and it totally sounds different when I played with a treated room of my friend.

Back