Shed as studio?

CellzisBack

Upcoming Producer, Cellz
I came up with this idea to put a shed in the backyard of my mom house and create it as a studio. Would be cool to go in there and create whenever I need to. Plus my Mom'z guy a handy man so he can soundproof it and set the electric outlets up in there. Anybody ever did this or think it would work? Not sure how it would by it being outside but I can get heater and deck it out.

I had that idea quite a few years ago; lo and behold, not too long after, so did Peter Gabriel, and there was a company started in the UK that does the set-up for you, at a cost-- build the shed from scratch in your yard, and deck it out with a Pro Tools set-up...

The problems/challenges to overcome on a budget would include-- running electricity, heat and A/C, insulation, sound treatment, a security system, and adequate space, if you want to track live instruments and drums. If it's more of an electronics and vocal shack, then that would be easier.

GJ

Thanks bro. It would be me just doing beats and possibly recording vocals. The soundproof would be great cuz I never made beats in a soundproof environment. Anybody know a budget for all this?

Hey CZ-- It depends on what you want and where you live, but some of the higher end "sheds" I looked at were more like cabins; very nice and very workable, but you're talking like $10,000 just for that, without electricity, carpeting, sound treatment, heat, A/C, or any music gear. Plus don't forget security and probably a decent insurance policy.

$20,000? I don't know. I saved equipment, one or two pieces at a time for my current studio, over the course of many years (so many that many are now considered "vintage"). And I abandoned the shed idea due to space and cost, after I found a partner and rented a separate office facility. But I may have another look at the idea in the future-- I think if you have the space and can afford it, it would be a good option. We used to have a studio/rehearsal space in a large two-car garage, and after a little construction and some sound treatment, it was an awesome place.

GJ

---------- Post added at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

PS-- anniesmith-- Hi.

Lol , I Have My Bedroom Outside In the Shade, It's An L Shaped Shed .. The Little Part Of The L I Built Dry Wall To Make It My Room And The Rest Is Divided Into The Recording Booth / Studio . Lol it's dope .

There's nothing wrong with that, just as long it's set up right and treated appropriately for sound. With a smaller space like that it will be easier. Not sure what kind of materials you would need since sheds are mostly made of thin wood or plastic/aluminum and tend to let external noise seep in a lot. It's not really the same exactly but I used to work out a studio that was set up in a truck trailer. One of those big metal trailers. In of all times the summer. It was hot all the time and we had to keep the front doors open and but an AC in there. Now that was fun. If I were you though, I'd be more worried about someone figuring out what's in the shed and looking for an opportunity to "gear jack".

Thanks bro. It would be me just doing beats and possibly recording vocals. The soundproof would be great cuz I never made beats in a soundproof environment. Anybody know a budget for all this?

Though the idea is sound (excuse the pun), the budget would likely have to be very high for this. Soundproofing is expensive, and even if you bought a shed, would involve constructing walls INSIDE the shed. The cost of running conduit through the backyard is also likely not very cheap. Add to it that you'll likely need permits to do this work or face serious fines (assuming you're in the US) and you've already exceeded $5,000, and you haven't even treated the space yet.

Back