Setup Questions

Distant B

I am looking for any ideas what you think i am missing and or what you think would be a nice addition to my current producing setup.

Computer
- Os // Winxp
- Ram // 1 gig
- Harddrive // 2 WD 120gig
- Sound Card // Audiophile 2496

Software
- Cubase 2.0
- Reason 2.5
- Vstation
- T-Racks

Hardware
- Radium 49 [Midi Controller]
- Roland jp8080 [First Hw Synth]

Monitoring
- Behringer B2031 Truth [Monitors]
- Sennheiser HD280 [Head Phones]

thanks!

Last edited:
You need to expand your VST collection, if you ask me.

You know - I was thinking about linux but i am kinda a noob at that OS. Was trying out the suse distro for awhile, "Still on the old pc". I was already going to put 2k on the next time i did a format. But thanks for the idea!

Do you know any sites with tweaks and stuff to make my fresh 2k sweep ideal for producing?

dansgold - Yea i have been looking into getting more vst's. Are there any you can recommend?

When do you think i will need a sound card upgrade? When i start buying more hardware? Or can i buy a mixboard for recording and that will also give me more channels?

Just go with WIn2kpro...it has more support (linux doesnt) and if your just going to use it for a dedicated music pc then go ahead and invest in a decent sound card that will fit your recording OR mixing needs.

as far as slimming down your WIn2k. I just use my own shell instead of explorer or try this : http://www.blackviper.com/WIN2K/servicecfg.htm

THis link helps you know what to keep and what to turn off to kill all them nasty services that do nuthing at all.

And make sure its service pack 4 when your upgrading. Microsloth has the Service pack for free if you didnt knwo allready at: windows2000.com

And i wouldnt run multi (win2k) OS's on one hard drive only for performance reasons...but thats if your into all that technical crap. Good luck

THe way i figure it is there is no real benchmark test for testing XP vs. 2K (im assuming).

plus w2k does not have the license problem. With XP, doing any major upgrades is liable to have XP as for a key.

Stay with XP if youve got tons of memory and on a fast CPU (theres no real difference for you then vs. 2K)

//Ive heard XP and P4's CPUs wotk great together//

But XP has all those nasty extras when 2K doesnt (and even if it did you can quit most of the services and extras with ease.

It all preference really. Nowadays everyones got at least a 1gHz CPU with 512memory

Yea i will just swith to win2k and clean it of services i dont need.

So you guys think i should ditch the sound card and get somthing better?

Will i need a new soundcard if i get a mixer?

What cards you recommend over my audiophile.

I think your sound card is ok for now...//i overlooked the part where you listed your sound card. its decent//...so as long as your getting the high quality you need out of it.

as far as gettign a new soundcard if you get a mixer...i think your fine. but it really depends on your setup and how you want to route your sounds. I have a M-Audio card with 8mono/4stero outputs...and i route the 4stero outs to four seperate inputs on my mixer.

goodluck

THM - Yea currently my harddisks are dont run at that! =( I will be selling this to pickup some faster disks though!

I do plan on upgrading my vst selection. But also plan on upgrading and buying some more hardware. Looking into getting another synth. Prob the virus b. Dont have the money for the c and i think the b will work fine. I produce trance music. You guys know anyother synths i should look into other then the b?

I rather be spinning the knobs then moving the mouse around. So i like to have the hardware when i afford it and or its actually worth having the hardware over the soft. And in the synth catagory i think software is beat. IMO =)

Do you guys think i will benifit from getting a mixer? Mackie 1202VLZ PRO Professional 12x2 Mixer I was looking to pick one of these up. Cost for that mixer is $250.00

In the beggining, there was the heaven, and the earth. Then god created Man. And Man said "Lord, give unto us the gift of music production". And god gave it unto him, and it was good. Then on the sixth day, god created production hardware, and it was also good. But as hard as man worked, he just could not afford a decent compressor, unless he cut back on the money he wanted to spend on an eq, or a noise gate etc. God, sympathetic to man's plight, created production software, and all was not good. "It does not sound warm, oh lord" man cried "It sounds thin! It's no where NEAR as good as analog hardware, oh lord! Like, were you drunk or something?!" and the lord again sympathized with the plight of man, and on the seventh day, instead of resting, god created the miracle of THE PLUG-IN. Oh how man loved the mighty plug-in, no more cramped studios filled wall to wall with rackmount hardware, NO! Plug-ins changed everything. Seeing man's comfort in the miraculous plug-ins, god turned thier control over to man saying "I give you all the sound-bearing plug-ins in urge to use!" and in turn, man began to improve upon god's divine creation, until one day, a company, known as MAXX created the Waves plug-ins, a suite of incredibly powerful audio plug-ins, ranging from pitch-correctors, to voccodders to compressors to EQ's (and don't get me started on the Ranaisance channel plug-in!)and there was much rejoicing. Even at $1299 usd, the plug-ins were a bargain, and today, there's narry a studio that doesn't have at least a few waves plug-ins kicking around. So know you know the gospel of the plug-ins, and why, if you have the dough, you can't go wrong with the Waves Diamond Bundle.

Manphet

lOl :-D Nice post ::

Linux is not AUdio friendly yet :: You can do some stuff, but nothing to amazing.

Check out KNoppix (Live CD)
and Dyne:trax (or dyne:bolic 1.2) same thing <-- it's got streaming audio servers built into it... mixers, and audio prorgams. :) Very nice.

Both of these are considered Live Linux CDs... it means the entire OS runs from teh CD, and in memory.. Never touches the HD of your comp. so you can experiemtn with linux, and not have to dedicate a whoel machine to it, or worry about breaking something. :) fun tools

Back