sequencer question

S

specific

I have been using software sequencers for years and find them too time consuming to build up realistic drum sequences.

To me they work great for arranging,sampling long phrases,timestreatching,looping of audio, editing, panning and effects etc.

I find myself wasting too much time editing my drum patters on software sequencers and loosing my creative flow in the process.

I have a hardware sampler and outboard effects with a motu 828 no mixer at the moment so I do my mixing in the software sequencer of choice.

I am wondering is anyone else having this problem mainly with rythm and swing based beats like hip hop and r & b.

I also do not like programming drums with a mouse thus I do not tend to use the drum editor option on most soft sequencers but rather place the parts off of a mpd 16 and trigger my drum samples from my sampler.

With this said would it be wise to look into a hardware sequemcer like the MPC which is known or said to have simple sequencing facilities for programming drum sequencing and also a well known swing/quantinization implimentation that we have all grown accustomed to hearing in hip hop/r & b.

I am looking to improve my productivity and also allow me to get ideas down faster.

I don't mind exporting the sequences as midi into the software sythn for finishing touches such as randomizing snare velocities and what not but at least I would have the rythm and sequences down at that point and concentrate on arranging and subtleties.

Anyway I am looking for any advise anyone has on the topic so the disscussion is open to anything mentioned or not within this poist.

Thanks,

Specific

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all down to personal tastes really. I bought my MPC1000 like two weeks ago and I haven't worked with my computer hardly at all since. I much prefer working on my MPC for that hands on feeling and because I find it a lot quicker and more intuitive. For me at least. I can't say if things will be the same for you, but for me thats how it is.

I am not looking for a hard and fast set in stone solution but more feedback from other producers making similar music.

How do you like the MPC1000?

I have been looking at the 1000 but was holding off on it as I heard some complaints about the sequencer and the limitations of editing single hits on the 1000.

Which mpc would best replace my software sequencer?

is MPC1000 a nice machine?

wil it help in djin? i mean club , techo basically upbeat music?

any suggestions?

I have used a couple of different sequencers (Akai, Korg, yamaha and a couple of spftware) and I've found that for me the best is the mpc's. Its easier to just load up some sounds or to trigger them on the pads and just get right into the groove quick and easy with out a lot of BS. The sequencers in the 1000 and the 2KXL are basically the same except for some very minor differences you can't go wrong with either

perhaps a midi controller would allow you to enter rhythms more efficiently?

I have a midi controller and a midi pad controller but its the timing in the software sequencers.

I have had better results working with cubase in 1/32 triplet and not using the metronome.

Specific

Back