Salem Beats Studio Gear List

I have the Sony MDR-V600's I like them. Sony IMO makes decent studio head phones. Just curious why do you have so many microkeys?

I have the Sony MDR-V600's I like them. Sony IMO makes decent studio head phones.

Yeah, the response of the V600 is basically the same as the MDR-7506.
This is because they're close members of the same family.

Just curious why do you have so many microkeys?

The simplest possible answer is that I like them a lot.
They're the best feeling mini-keys on the market by a wide margin.

I like them for more than just their portability, To elaborate:

The lightweight and small keys on the microKEYs make it easy to quickly cover large distances and play quick trills with almost no fatigue. This makes them well suited for particular types of playing (synth bass, synth leads, sampled electric guitar, synth arpeggios).
By contrast, my Novation is a lot more expressive - I use it for instruments where nuanced velocity makes a big difference in the emotion of the piece (i.e., an acoustic guitar lead, staccato orchestral stabs, and other multisampled natural instruments).

Started with the 37-key. Why? It was the only one available! Loved it, but it was just BARELY too big to truly be considered "portable".
In fact, I had to buy a new laptop backpack to pack it around - my old bag was only 20" long, and the 37-key is 22" long.

The 61-key and 25-key were introduced a few years after I had bought the 37-key model:
- Bought the 61-key as soon as it became available (I had been wishing for it long before KORG announced it, so it was definitely a "must buy").
- Bought the 25-key to complete the collection because it's small enough to fit pretty much anywhere, and had a novel modulation source (a joystick rather than a pitch/mod wheel).

-Ki
Salem Beats (+Reviews)
gpWmqu

Added to the studio today:

- Behringer Xenyx 502 (Behringer Xenyx 502 5-Channel Mixer, Amazon.com)
- MXL-990 (MXL-990 Condenser Microphone, Amazon.com)
- MXL-991 (MXL 991 Small Diaphragm Condenser in Bundle, Amazon.com)
- Launchpad Mini (Launchpad Mini Controller by Novation, Amazon.com)

In the past, I've owned nicer microphones (Shure SM7B)
and a much nicer preamp (Grace m101)
than what's insider the Behringer mixer.

However, I sold these a long time ago when I made the decision to stop offering basic recording services for local artists.
The modest amount of money I was making wasn't worth letting everyone in the town know who to rob.

This time around, I picked these mics up for a different purpose:
An inexpensive solution to get decent voiceover vocals for the YouTube videos I'll be making.

The Launchpad Mini is a ton of fun, and feels natural since I'm already familiar with Automap (thanks to using an SL MK2 as my keyboard controller for years).

-Ki
Salem Beats (+Reviews)
gpWmqu

Last edited:
Back