Rubber mat = Soundproof floor?

S

SalimsWay

Hi there,

so i'm building up my own home studio from scratch, thing is, i need the noise and vibrations coming from my wood floor to disappear, and not disturb the neighbors,

so, i wanna know, if i place a rubber mat on the floor, covering the entire room, will it do the trick?, and if yes, do you know a place to get a rubber mat? ( i've searched but not found anything yet )

if you know it, then please come forward, cause your answer will lead to the next step in the proccess, otherwise im stuck, since the floor is what has to be dealt with first.

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator:
nope you need to consider building a floating floor - a floor that is not mechanically connected to the existing floor in any way.

Three often used approaches are to
  1. lay several layer so foam rubber that overlap but do not sit exactly one above the other and then to place a new layer of hardwood plywood on top, making sure that this wood does not contact the walls (wobbly and unfirm in places)
  2. place a bladder that is custom made for the floor space, fill it with oil and place a hardwood plywood layer on top (again not touching the walls of the original structure), still wobbles a little but less prone to so
  3. use industrial springs mounted on steel plates that are bolted to the floor in strategic support positions and then lay a new hardwood plywood floor layer that is also connected to the springs via steel plates - again avoid contact with the walls of the original structure. Most firm and least likely to transmit noise and sound to the floor lying beneath

you essentially need to build a vibration absorbing structure within the existing structure without allowing the new structure to make direct contact with the old - each of the above methods uses some form of spring to separate the new floor from the existing structure - the stiffness of the spring increases as you move down the list.

---------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 AM ----------

some links to provide additional insight/ideas

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum • View topic - Is a Floating Floor Right For You? Answer: Probably NOT.

floating floor.wmv - YouTube

How to Build a Floating Floor for a Recording Studio | eHow.com

Acoustic Isolation of Recording Studios - Floating Floors - Mason UK

How to build your own studio in 11 easy steps | MusicRadar

Is there any reason to float floors? [Archive] - 3dB

Day Design: Floating Floor Design

A cheap but effective solution for a floating floor.

Recording Drums - click on Floors for more detailed info

enjoy your research

nope you need to consider building a floating floor - a floor that is not mechanically connected to the existing floor in any way.

Three often used approaches are to
  1. lay several layer so foam rubber that overlap but do not sit exactly one above the other and then to place a new layer of hardwood plywood on top, making sure that this wood does not contact the walls (wobbly and unfirm in places)
  2. place a bladder that is custom made for the floor space, fill it with oil and place a hardwood plywood layer on top (again not touching the walls of the original structure), still wobbles a little but less prone to so
  3. use industrial springs mounted on steel plates that are bolted to the floor in strategic support positions and then lay a new hardwood plywood floor layer that is also connected to the springs via steel plates - again avoid contact with the walls of the original structure. Most firm and least likely to transmit noise and sound to the floor lying beneath
you essentially need to build a vibration absorbing structure within the existing structure without allowing the new structure to make direct contact with the old - each of the above methods uses some form of spring to separate the new floor from the existing structure - the stiffness of the spring increases as you move down the list.

---------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 AM ----------

some links to provide additional insight/ideas

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum • View topic - Is a Floating Floor Right For You? Answer: Probably NOT.

floating floor.wmv - YouTube

How to Build a Floating Floor for a Recording Studio | eHow.com

Acoustic Isolation of Recording Studios - Floating Floors - Mason UK

How to build your own studio in 11 easy steps | MusicRadar

Is there any reason to float floors? [Archive] - 3dB

Day Design: Floating Floor Design

A cheap but effective solution for a floating floor.

Recording Drums - click on Floors for more detailed info

enjoy your research

maan that stuff is way to complicated :(, isn't there a mat out there, that i can just cut to fit the size of the room, that will do the trick?

not that I am aware of

cuz i was at this guys studio some time ago, and he had something that looked like 1 very thick rubber mat or 2 rubber mats on top of each other covering the whole floor, and it looked good, it was rubber, but im not 100% percent sure if it was a mat or mats,

damn i hope somebody knows, because all im waiting for is this knowledge or im pretty much stuck. but thanks bandcoach :)

Floating floors are EXTREMELY difficult to build properly and VERY expensive. There are NO "easy" solutions to build a decoupled floating floor that will give you any significant isolation, and anything that says so is very incorrect. Rubber mats on the floor will not add to the isolation of the building. If isolation is completely necessary in your space, I would either hire a professional designer or buy quite a few books on the subject. I suggest hiring a professional as you can talk about the desired isolation levels you need, and if his design doesn't meet that, he needs to correct it on his dime (assuming that is in the contract of course, which it should be).

Back