Recording Problem with Delta 1010LT

I need help:

I just had my first session with my M-Audio Delta 1010LT installed. Sometimes when I record I hear popping. Sometimes I don't, even if I’m recording at the same input level and the artist at the same position from the mic. This is with the input set the same when its popping and not popping.

Note:

1) I have multi track driver device set at independent, although I did try it with single and in sync.
2) I tried turning the input level into the computer all the way down.
3) Variable signal level is set at consumer

Could it be my computer? After all, the minimum requirements to run this card is P3 500mhz for 96KHZ and I have a P3 550mhz recording at 48khz (which minimum requirements for this level of recording is a p2 400mhz.)

My Setup is as such:

I run a mic through a Mackie cfx 12 mixer with phantom power engaged. My main-out goes to the amp. I have 4 sub outs. So I use the sub out 3 and 4 to go into the Delata 101LT. My output goes back into the Mackie cfx mixer. When I’m recording, the output is on sub-out 1 and 2 so there is no feedback, so I know that’s not the problem, otherwise it would never record without popping.

I’m using Vegas Audio to record. I can’t find a record buffer but the play back buffer is set at .25 seconds. (I do have it set at simultaneously play and record at the same time.)
Could it be the software?

Any help? Anyone? Do I need to supply more specifics?

Try recoding at 44.1 and see if that helps. Also, what bitrate are you recording at? You can try another bitrate and test out if that gives you issues also.

I'm not familiar with Vegas at all so I have no idea if it would be a software issue.

Your hard disk could be the problem. If it is a 5400 rpm it may not be able to handle the data and cause a pop from dropping out.

Try doing a defrag, that might help.

As Sleepy said try the lower sampling rate and 24 bit. If it still pops try 16 bit.

Tim20 said:
Your hard disk could be the problem. If it is a 5400 rpm it may not be able to handle the data and cause a pop from dropping out.

Try doing a defrag, that might help.

As Sleepy said try the lower sampling rate and 24 bit. If it still pops try 16 bit.

I stated something wrong. I'm actually recorded at 44.1 at 16 bit. I did a defrag before the session,

My hard drive is 7200 rpm.

I wonder how things would go with Cubase because a friend fecomdmend it, but I'm so use to Vegas that I can't stray away from it. Maybe I should try a new program.

At 16 bit if you have the slightest blip above 0dB the converters are more likely to make a "pop" noise.

The average is about 3 samples in length to hear a click (pop). 3 in 44,100 is not very much.

Man I'm trying everything and the same thing is hapening. I'm ready to give up on the sound card.

It's pissing me off becsue I'll do one take and it's find and then the very next take it starts popping during record.

I tried to switch to Cubecase and couldn't even get it to switch over to the channel I'm coming in with. Argggg!!!!

So you did a hard drive defragment already?

Make sure you are using the latest drivers from the M audio site also.

sleepy said:
So you did a hard drive defragment already?

Yea I did a defrag already. I downloaded the newest drivers but have not installed them I'll try tis and see what happeneds.

sleepy said:

Well I installed the latest drivers, and guess what, now my register is messed up and my computer won't even boot now.

It tell me to run in command promtt only and run scanreg, but when I do that, the computer just goes to a c prompt. I can't even get into windows!

Now the M-Audio Manual said something about graphics accelerator in windows may cause pops while records so I turn that down in the windows settings.

Perhaps this has something to do with why my computer won't boot anymore.

The M-Audio Delta 1010LT has been nothing but a pain in my ass so far.

Can anyone help. PLEASE! My little home studio has just hit a major brickwall and is at a stand still.

25ms is a pretty low latency which can cause pops and skips. Try raising the buffer setting.

Your gonna have to get a faster cpu sooner or later. those programs and soundcards seem to always have problems when you just meet the minimum 500mhz.
What card did you have before?

I'd say more than the processor, the operating system is at fault.

It has been a while since I dealt with windows 98. After you do the scanreg and your registry has been restored, at the command prompt type "win" without the quotes. So it will look like C:\win and then hit enter.

Let me know what that turns up after.

You may also want to contact M audio tech support and let them know exactly what happened.

I hope you download the correct drivers also. It can be confusing at times with all the OS's out there.

Before installing drivers you should always read the readme file that comes with most drivers. This will let you know about any incompatibilities if any, and often there are plenty. They will often give you instructions on how to install the drivers. Some devices require uninstallation of old drivers. Others are fine if you install the drivers over the current drivers. Others require you to install the drivers before the actual hardware and other require that you install the hardware before the drivers.

If you fail to do something in order, your whole system may go down. This is a posibility even when following directions. It is more of a posibility when not following directions.

rellruger said:
Your gonna have to get a faster cpu sooner or later. those programs and soundcards seem to always have problems when you just meet the minimum 500mhz.
What card did you have before?

I think I'm screwed at this point so I'm probably just going to get a new computer and start from there.

sleepy said:
I'd say more than the processor, the operating system is at fault.

It has been a while since I dealt with windows 98. After you do the scanreg and your registry has been restored, at the command prompt type "win" without the quotes. So it will look like C:\win and then hit enter.

Yea, I love windows 98. Xp has problems with some of theaudio stuff I run, I think. I did what you said and it say

"sector not found reading drive c:"
When I hit "f" for fail, it says

"Registry file not found. Registery services may be inoperatable for this session."

That sounds like it's telling me I'm screwed.

sleepy said:

I hope you download the correct drivers also. It can be confusing at times with all the OS's out there.

Before installing drivers you should always read the readme file that comes with most drivers.

Although the site said do this, there was no read me file. Just and executable file. And that laucnehd strait into the installer for the drivers. I downloaded the driver file for w98.

try using the asio drivers in vegas...and how many tracks are you playing back/recoridng at a time... these are somet things that can cause you trouble with that processor speed.

Back