Recording to laptop, need interface suggestions

A

AKshun

I'm currently recording with my Audio Technica 4040 going into my cheap art preamp, which goes directly into my laptop soundcard.

I don't want to use my laptop soundcard, I'd like to up my bit rate and all, but am not completely sure what would be the best choice. I tried the Tascam US122 and must say it is a horrible piece of equipment. The delay in recordings is very bad and I returned it the day after I bought it.

After trying the US122, I'm against a USB audio interface. I do have a firewire port, but its a 4 pin, and a pcmia slot.

What do you think would be appropriate within the $500 and below range?

You could try the edirol UA series, I know lots of people running them very happily.

Yeah the Echo Indigo is pretty good.
It won the Laptop editors choice award!

They range from about $100 to $200.

Echo Indigo

Last edited:
Whoa! Don't throw out the us122 yet! It is a decent piece of gear. The problem you are having is most likely the monitoring latency. You can control this in your audio software.

I use the HDSP9652 along with outboard pre-amps because the HDSP uses ASIO direct monitoring which introduces no audible latency. You can get a zero latency monitor mix with ANY sound card by using an analog mixer for your monitor mix.

The US122 has a zero latency mixer built in. You must turn off monitoring in your application, or turn on "ASIO DIRECT MONITORING", and enable the "direct" switch on your US122 in order to use it.

There is a section on page 17 of your manual called "Using Direct Monitoring".

Last edited by a moderator:
an mbox maybe?? my friend uses one to record vocals on his laptop and ive never heard anything bad about it from him...

thank you all for the help, I will give the direct monitoring thing a try this weekend....

I'm also checking out the indigo just in case...

Back