Record/Vinyl Presser?

M

Maitrader

Hello all :)

I am new to this forum, and I am a techno/hard-hi nrg producer and I will be in the future creating my own little electronic label and will be wanting to press records to 12" and what not... My question is what is the technical term for the record/vinyl presser, what corps make pressers, how much do they run ( i hear 20kish) and any directions as to who to get in touch with in aqcuiring a presser.

Thank you for your time and patience :)

Insted of buyin,a vinyl presser,it would be cheaper,to let a company do it.

Unless you have a vinyl mastering engineer (which you dont because you are asking this question) its not worth having a lathe/presser because you wont be able to get anything useable off them. Leave pressing to the professionals

The Vestax VRX-2000, about $15K. It's sort of a 'prosumer' type product, so you might actually get ok-ish recordings with without a degree in sound engineering. I don't have any first-hand experience with it, though.

Monkey Mouse said:
Do not even think you can buy the equipment & do it yourself.....

Well, the Vestax unit I mentioned is sort of meant for "home use". Don't know any specifics of operating the thing, though.

krushing said:

Well, the Vestax unit I mentioned is sort of meant for "home use". Don't know any specifics of operating the thing, though.

i heard that thing was trash and a waste of money. there was some thread talking about it.

Hmm Another quick question...

If one wanted to work towards becoming a Vinyl Mastering Engineer... is that something like trying to become a Studio Sound Engie? is there any institution-like schools that would help you on a path to become a Vinyl Mastering Engineer?

thanks again all for your time and patience ;)

No idea but I doubt it. The only way I can think of is to work as a junior at a mastering house and slowly work your way up.

For a creative being the task of pressing other people's vinyl all day would be terrible.

For a TRANCE producer, it might actually be a fun, rewarding and enjoyable career. Investigate this opportunity at your nearest possible convenience.

Back