Question about a Long room

I

IanMathews

Been reading through this section, and I have a question. My studio room is long - from my main speakers to the far wall is 30'. That's by about 12' wide. Should I be doing anything to that far wall? - as in, foam or the like.

If you need more details - sheetrock walls, 2 small basement windows (they have small curtains), foam drop-ceiling, carpeting. Thanks for any help.

I'd be doing lots of stuff to all the walls and the ceiling - diffusers, absorbers, even changing the shape of the room in some places (add some angles to change standing wave possibilities).

have you been to John L Sayers site on acoustic treatment and design???

what about movable gobos so you can shape your room, not making it to long.
I have done a similar thing to split a room with a bay window

I checked out Sayers' site, but didn't quite find what I was looking for. Are we saying that a long room is not desireable, at all? That the very best thing for me to do is cut the room in half? Should I go for a square, or leave some length? Wifey isn't going to like this... lol

OK, so without prejudicing your choices and your wifes, here are some ideas to build the rooms within a room:

isometric view so youcan see the basic changes to the room in 3d
30x12x8ISO.png

top view - floor plan layout
30x12x8TOP.png

Lengths along the wall where the two components meet are 16ft:14ft.

The small room has external dimensions of 7ft x 14ft. the point where the two angled walls meet splits the 14ft wall as 6ft:8ft. the angled wall leaving the 12ft wall splits the wall as 7ft:5ft.

the two voids can be used as storage. the larger void could be an entry way

Smaller vs larger spaces could performance/control room or vice versa

you would probably still need to add bass traps, absorbers and diffusers

enjoy

It hadn't occured to me to go with angled walls like that. I will consider it. Thanks a ton for your help!

Not a problem. Angled walls are my first thoughts when trying to design rooms that are used for audio, that and angled roofs.

An alternative to what I suggest above might be to turn the room into a trapezium: 3 angled walls and one of the existing structure walls to provide more overall space:

isometric view so youcan see the basic changes to the room in 3d
30x12x8TrapISO.png

top view - floor plan layout
30x12x8TrapTOP.png

the walls are set at 4inches for convenience sake in drawing this up - you might make it 2" or 3" - be sure to fill the void between with appropriate acoustic deadening foam or sand if you can afford it.

If you have the budget to stretch to it you might even consider a floating floor to reduce even further structure borne noise

Back