Question about common room treatmeant

Horatio

I've noticed that a lot of rooms seem to have a panel in the same spot between the wall and the ceiling, at a 45 degree angle.

In the case of this photo they have them on the side walls, too, but it seems much more common to just have them behind the monitors.

I was wondering if anyone could explain why this is so common. I understand the idea of treating corners to tame bass.

Are these typically bass traps?

thanks for reading :)

Attachments

• cust_suecof.jpg
    cust_suecof.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 47
so looking at that pic, everything is straight in that room, i.e. the walls are all at 90[sup]o[/sup] to each other as are the floor and the ceiling to the walls

this means that the resonances at those boundaries are going to be predictable and therefore manageable with the approach taken - a panel that is placed to make the edge of the wall-ceiling a 45 [sup]o[/sup] angle changes the movement of sound in the room and actively acts to reduce the expected resonances at the junction

any room has 3 types of resonances
  1. axial - the actual lengths of each dimension are resonances - L x W x H
  2. tangential - the boundary or any two parts of the room (short-wall-long-wall (x4), short-wall-ceiling/floor (x4), long-wall-ceiling/floor (x4)) - this is where you can seethe panels angled in in the pic
  3. oblique - the actual intersection of all three parts of the room (short-wall-long-wall-ceiling/floor (x8)) - if you look at the pic you will notice a triangular panel at the top right hand corner

most of these end up being below 100Hz, so qualify as bass resonances.

you can also see some panels on the ceiling which are there to act as diffusers/absorbers

the only panel I cannot justify is the one on the right hand wall next to the computer monitor - it is too far forward to have any effect on diffusion/absorption for the monitors as shown in the orientation shown

the only panel I cannot justify is the one on the right hand wall next to the computer monitor - it is too far forward to have any effect on diffusion/absorption for the monitors as shown in the orientation shown

??
It's definitely situated at the reflection point.

Horatio,
Panels go in many areas in the room: behind the monitors, to the sides, and in the corners. I'd suggest reading through our primer to get a better idea of what's goin on: Room Acoustics Primer - GIK Acoustics

Back